Texas

I am in central Texas and we have Silkies, Cochin, New Hampshire, leg horns, production red.

The thing about the heat is keep lots of water available for drinking and wading in. Make sure there is plenty of shade and good air flow and you should be good to go with any breed. They have lots of descriptions in the reviews section on the search bar. Personalities as well as egg sizes colors and even if they can be dual purpose.

Good luck keep us posted on your flock!

Dave from El Paso here. We are getting started preparing for our small flock of about 4 hens for Eggs, Bug Control and Entertainment. We are wondering what the best breeds are for this West Texas Climate.
Also I think you should research building an open air type coop.
Closed up coops are dangerous down here.

Dave from El Paso here. We are getting started preparing for our small flock of about 4 hens for Eggs, Bug Control and Entertainment. We are wondering what the best breeds are for this West Texas Climate.
I just spent a very long time looking for heat tolerant breeds. I specifically wanted friendly birds, not flighty at all. I eventually settled with barred rocks, welsummer, Easter Eggers, and buff orpingtons (although orpingtons aren’t really considered heat hardy, the others are).
Barred rocks and australorps are very well rounded non-problematic breeds. I’ve never owned a grown welsummer so I can’t speak for that yet.

If you want crazy egg production look at leghorns, sexlinks, or RIR. All of those do wonderful in the heat but I am not a fan of the health issues that can come with high production breeds.

If your only criteria is heat and you don’t care about temperament at all, look for Mediterranean breeds. They are more compact and have larger combs, made to withstand the heat and great foragers. They tend to be quite standoffish and flighty though.

Basically the bigger the comb and the less fluffy the bird, the better it will do in the heat. You just have to watch out for temperament and sensitivity to confinement in some of those breeds.

I just spent a very long time looking for heat tolerant breeds. I specifically wanted friendly birds, not flighty at all. I eventually settled with barred rocks, welsummer, Easter Eggers, and buff orpingtons (although orpingtons aren’t really considered heat hardy, the others are).
Barred rocks and australorps are very well rounded non-problematic breeds. I’ve never owned a grown welsummer so I can’t speak for that yet.

If you want crazy egg production look at leghorns, sexlinks, or RIR. All of those do wonderful in the heat but I am not a fan of the health issues that can come with high production breeds.

If your only criteria is heat and you don’t care about temperament at all, look for Mediterranean breeds. They are more compact and have larger combs, made to withstand the heat and great foragers. They tend to be quite standoffish and flighty though.

Basically the bigger the comb and the less fluffy the bird, the better it will do in the heat. You just have to watch out for temperament and sensitivity to confinement in some of those breeds.
My Ideal Welsummers rock the heat!
They are doing fabulous!

I have a little cream legbar that does well in the heat. She is running around right now like it's only in the 80's (instead of 101) She is very calm & gentle too.

20180720_175703.jpg

Back
Top Bottom