Texas

Hello fellow Texans!
I live 1hr west of Houston. I am fairly new to raising chickens. I've been doing this now for about 1 year and learning as I go! I was wondering which bedding is best for the coop run given the type of hot,humid sometimes rainy climate we have here. I am currently using bank sand, works great as long as we don't have persistent rain. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Hello fellow Texans!
I live 1hr west of Houston. I am fairly new to raising chickens. I've been doing this now for about 1 year and learning as I go! I was wondering which bedding is best for the coop run given the type of hot,humid sometimes rainy climate we have here. I am currently using bank sand, works great as long as we don't have persistent rain. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
That bank sand sounds like a great idea I've been using hay this is the first year I have been doing that and it seems like I have to get the permethrin out and start treating the bedding and the birds for mites. I live in a very hot dry climate mud would be a blessing. I might just go grab some beach sand from Boca chica Beach might be kind of fun having a full jeep completely loaded down with sand passing through the border patrol checkpoint for a giggle. Welcome to byc and we hope to hear more from you and your adventures.

Hello fellow Texans!
Sticks and leaves and good ole dirt.

Who did this? Are you sleeping in the dog house tonight?
it was all me my wife made me pull the Jeep to the very front portion of our carport and I usually count the number of poles I passed before I knew I'm in the free and clear well therr were extra poles. I obviously don't math good. regardless the neighbor who knows the neighbor who knows a guy who needs some money for one hours work to fix it tomorrow it's going to get it squared away. And then we're going to paint over all of our poles in barnyard red because we like that color verses that red wood stain. It's just so much more Bright and lively👍and no I didn't have to sleep in the dog house but I lost the right to the comfortable bed I had to sleep on the one that hurts your shoulders every time you roll over last night.

How's the price of gas looking where yall are? I did my best to stop on an even 10 gallons...dang blasted .002 over both my Jeeps like the cheap stuff.

IMG_5397.JPG :lau

It's my bedtime rambling/ranting time of the night.............

I wen't to TSC yesterday and spoke to a young minor who couldn't stop looking at the overflowing bins of assorted bantams, broilers, and layers. I told the young lady she should consider doing some research and look over what is for sale at idealpoultry to get exactly what kind of chicken she wants to keep. Buying from TSC seems like those claw drop games where you have a chance to win a prize. How hard is it for them to actually put up some breed specific identification? Regardless, I'm kicking myself tonight for not sending her to BYC vs ideal. I cut that conversation short because nothing says "Amber Alert" faster than a middle aged man conversing with a female teen in a public space.

In a few minutes it will be Easter Sunday and we all know and love that tradition of giving children with short attention spans living breathing chicks for the holiday without an ounce of preparedness.

I can only hope I saved a chickens life and horrible death from neglect. I'm not all that high and mighty myself I have 4 pullets/cockerels left from my 2 winter hatches but I free range my birds and they have feeder/grower crumble and scratch available. It is also why we have decided the Silkie project is over. Once those are gone they will not be making a comeback. It is going to be all game birds for us from now on with the major emphasis on those Sumatra(they are going to the bachelor pad on the 23rd@ 2.5 weeks of age and a huddle box). I can't wait to see how flock reared Sumatra (Roos) will behave when raised by an entire flock that respect human space(excepting meanie broodies and hens/roos that have absolutely no respect if you go out on the porch to make a phonecall).

Happy Easter everyone!:frow

Last edited:
/"Thinking" aloud in typing mode

@AllenK RGV in a 'ballpark' how far are ya from H-town/Galveston? Gawd, I'm not sure this is wise..... How many Silkies you have left? My Better-half wants to breed Silkies.... I paused her "for right now."

Now on a nother topic, I bit the bullet and posted about a few Cockerels I need to part with in the correct forum......

This cold snap was not a surprise, per say. The Farmer's Almanac called it so far, and our area of region 11 has been hitting above 95% accuracy, so, yaaah. 36° & WC of 27 this morning.... The next two mornings near-bout the same forecast.

Keep getting paused on thee oak tree extraction. The 1st 2 scrub trees handled the snatch and dump just fine.... This one's not gonna be happy when I finally get the next round of giant stones out from around that Taproot!
(edited found 2 pics for scale and reference)
scale-of-smaller-stones.jpg
This one weighed in at least 250-350lbs

04-12-post-rain.jpg
that stone sitting "on the water to the right of the tree" is the same length as the above stone but, 2.5-3X as thick. Its a medium sized stone.
The folks over at TractorbyNet forum have been as great a resource for my CUT Cub Cadet 7260(and its attachments) as BYC for all things chiicohnnn!

Last edited:
:frowHi all blabbermouth(me) is back! We hit 103 here on Easter and hope everyone is going to be enjoying this cool air to get those outdoor projects done. I was in the bachelor pad for easter adding some mesquite cut perches next to the 4x4 doorway, and man it needs much better ventilation up top so that is one of my planned projects for tomorrow. I'll post pictures.

Back
Top Bottom