Texas

/"Thinking" aloud in typing mode

@AllenK RGV in a 'ballpark' how far are ya from H-town/Galveston? Gawd, I'm not sure this is wise..... How many Silkies you have left? My Better-half wants to breed Silkies.... I paused her "for right now."

Now on a nother topic, I bit the bullet and posted about a few Cockerels I need to part with in the correct forum......

This cold snap was not a surprise, per say. The Farmer's Almanac called it so far, and our area of region 11 has been hitting above 95% accuracy, so, yaaah. 36° & WC of 27 this morning.... The next two mornings near-bout the same forecast.

Keep getting paused on thee oak tree extraction. The 1st 2 scrub trees handled the snatch and dump just fine.... This one's not gonna be happy when I finally get the next round of giant stones out from around that Taproot!
(Will edit with pics when I find them)
Not that far by Texas standards..............................

1586834359105.png

So I have a real good idea of where my missing hens are going, here is my problem a neighbor who thinks he is too poor to put up a fence. I got news for him they are free to build here in my part of Texas!

The Problem:
IMG_5358.JPG IMG_5362.JPG IMG_5369.JPG

Poor thing was afraid when my pack was made aware of the violation of their territory.
More problems:
IMG_5416.JPG IMG_5416.JPG IMG_5422.JPG IMG_5423.JPG IMG_5429.JPG

There were 2 points of entry found under my fence today additionally you can see my efforts to roll out a proper Texas welcome mat. I staked out the property line and fortunately easily found the original property survey marker.

Texas Welcome mats!:

IMG_5431.JPG IMG_5433.JPG IMG_5434.JPG IMG_5438.JPG

If I catch him in the act I'll bait him just like ya do for coyote as then he will meet the legal standard of one as defined in "Vernon's Texas Health and Safety Codes" chapters 620-628.

Follow up post: Plans are to install electric fencing for that front fencing. Phasers aren't going to be set on stun either.

Late edit--- Day 1 of operation NO FRIED CHICKEN is complete. Everything used was scraps and bits I have laying about in my sheds. Well except for 3 or 4 screws.
Before:
IMG_5439.JPG IMG_5443.JPG

Total time involved for days mission plan was 2 hours from concept, to scrounging, forgetting where I left my drill, saw, square, and fiddling about in the tool shed trying to remember why I went in there. I would have gotten in some painting as well but the wind is just too blustery for that today.

Day 2 will just be working out the top vent as well. That is planned for after my morning transplanting of prickly pears feels done enough for the day.
IMG_5441.JPG

Last edited:
Im just wondering if theres anyone in our area (odessa/midland) that might be willing to impart some knowledge on my husband and i as far as culling and processing? We're many months away from that, but i just feel like having someone experienced show us and walk us through would make for a safer and kinder process for our birds. Weve got several people in our neighborhood that raise chickens, but im not sure what their purpose for raising them is (fighting is sadly so common around here) as well as often a language barrier. Anyways, just putting it out there.

Im just wondering if theres anyone in our area (odessa/midland) that might be willing to impart some knowledge on my husband and i as far as culling and processing? We're many months away from that, but i just feel like having someone experienced show us and walk us through would make for a safer and kinder process for our birds. Weve got several people in our neighborhood that raise chickens, but im not sure what their purpose for raising them is (fighting is sadly so common around here) as well as often a language barrier. Anyways, just putting it out there.
@RUNuts + the meat bird forum here on BYC would be a good place to start. I think most do theirs in bulk after some major $$ outlays for equipment and skinless is the poor mans way. As I said I think because I haven't a clue about the process. I just hand my culls off to someone who "rehomes" my unwanted fowl. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/meat-birds-etc.21/

Allen is too kind with his praise. I've skinned the the last several due to pin feathers. Bad timing on my part for the processing. I do recommend the cut resistant gloves after I got myself. Not bad, but it was a wake up call.

there is a lot of information on the Meat Bird forum and utube with videos. Short of standing there watching, what questions do you have?

I do recommend the cut resistant gloves after I got myself. Not bad, but it was a wake up call.

there is a lot of information on the Meat Bird forum and utube with videos. Short of standing there watching, what questions do you have?
So really my questions are just not knowing. What to do, when to do, etc. I did go check out the meat bird forum and found the thread with the step by step pictures. Thats what i was wanting with someone nearby. Just a good walk through. And maybe the tips that come along with experience (like good cut resistant gloves).

Back
Top Bottom