Texas

my girls have been layin in the neighbors yards! i checked sat. and found over a dz! WOW! Today my DW brought in 3 this mernin and when i got home from school i got one from the nxt door and then 4 more from the community nest box! so 8 total!!! i cant wait to get a full dz from my girls! almost there!!! all brown layers! the only one that lays white eggs is my sumatra so far but she dont lay daily....

Hopefully soon you'll have two green egg layers. I have 10 currently, 9 of laying age, and get one egg a day. Many of them had a really hard molt this year and are still recovering from it. And one of my California Whites, a sex linked breed, went broody! Everything goes broody round here. Some day I expect to see the neighbors cats go broody. Anyway once you break them it takes a while to start laying again. Hopefully soon I'll get at least 2 eggs a day.

It's so funny though, this time of year the laying always goes down. I patiently explain to my egg customers, the same ones, every year, the same thing. That their bodies just need a rest when the days get shorter. They nod as though they understand but i know I'll be explaining this again next year if I'm still in this house.

To those of you who sell your eggs:

How much do you sell a dozen for?
Do you wash them first (mine are clean)
Did you get any testing on them before you sold to friends/neighbors or at farmer's markets?
If you refrigerate them pointy side down, how "late" do you sell them?

Thanks, Ann Abrameit

Did you get any testing on them before you sold to friends/neighbors or at farmer's markets?

Thanks, Ann Abrameit
I am tested with the State I have a Texas Pullorum-Typhoid certificate, the test is free of charge and very easy to do.

I only charge $2.00 a dozen for chicken eggs, I have had the same price for years.
I never wash my eggs, I sell most of mine at a meat market, and I have a paper that is hung on the wall explaing eggs to them.
I always keep all my eggs pointy side down and I never refrigerate my eggs.
I don't have eggs long, and I do not remember how long they keep. But you must keep in mind most store bought eggs are 6 weeks old before you buy them.

Yea, I sell mine around $2.00 also. So excited about my quail! They're pipping now!
I'm so glad. I have 160 due to hatch on the 25th. And I just put 13/15 Coronation Sussex in lockdown.
love.gif

Anyone here have and breed D'uccles? i asked this ? on their thread but noone ever answered it....
When should i expect my 1st eggs? my pr hatched 23 May.... so they are 6moish....

Thanks, Ann Abrameit
I get $3.00 a dozen, don't wash them it takes the "bloom" off & they won't stay fresh as long, of course sometimes you have to wash off dirty spots but I have a customer that takes 2 -2 1/2 dozen a week so I'm not worried about those eggs not staying fresh lol I keep any eggs older then 2 weeks for myself, only sell the freshest ones. Your supposed to store them pointy end down ;)

Back
Top Bottom