Texas

\
Melissa, my BYC friend...greetings from the NW Bexar Co....I am also someone you can count on for some help with whatever around the homestead...you are a true champion! Peace!
thumbsup.gif

Melissa, I'm so sorry to hear your troubles. There are quite a few of us in your area. Shout if we can help.

What? Slabs of salt to cook on? Do share info please!

I bought my ground pink salt from Mercola and they also sell the blocks. But I found this on the internet which shows pictures and gives a how to on cooking with the blocks. http://www.atthemeadow.com/shop/Resources/Cook-Steak-On-Himalayan-Salt-Block

Here's one of the pictures from that link!

Amazon sells a recipe book for cooking with salt blocks! http://www.amazon.com/Salt-Block-Cooking-Grilling-Himalayan/dp/1449430554/ref=pd_bxgy_gro_text_y

Everything I have read says that it lightly seasons the meat or vegetables. The block has antibacterial properties to help with raw foods like sushi or raw fish. I have read that you can use the blocks on the grill, range top, oven and freezer!

Last edited:
Thank you for all the replies about fermenting feed outside. I've gone ahead and I'm giving it a try. I live in the Piney Woods, so I'm able to find numerous spots that never receive direct sunlight. I fed some tonight, and they all quickly ate it up. I'm keeping the "Mother" on hand in case things get out of hand. Thanks again!

Melissa Rose, So good to see you out here on BYC again. I just noticed some posts you put up on CL.
So, so sorry about all the health issues...and we've had our share of horrible neighbors too, but yours seem to take the prize in that category. You're in our thoughts and prayers. Take care of yourself!
hugs.gif

Hi
hugs.gif
love.gif
I am sorry I have not been posting much lately I am having some very severe health issues. It keeps me from getting on the computer to check my email and reply. I have terminal liver failure. I have some very violent neighbors who have been dumping toxic chemicals on my property and on my organic herb and vegetable garden. It caused my liver to fail and I have been told by the transplant hospital I will never be considered for a liver transplant because I only have one good lung and a severe intestinal birth defect called a "Non-rotated colon". They also cut my fence off my fence posts too and where sending their dogs over to attack my poultry. I called the Bexar County Sheriffs Office to file a complaint and he informed me he did not know if there was a leash law in Bexar County because he was not up on animal law .Turns out he is good buddies with the violent neighbors
smack.gif
. I have not been doing much business lately because they are using my adds to send their psycho friends over to cause problems. I am about to start doing business again soon but this heat has me moving really slow. I have a huge swollen liver and since it is not functioning it causes my blood to not get the minerals and vitamins it needs to function and my body fluid separates out of my body and settles in my legs and thighs and lower abdomen. This is very painful with my birth defect and my legs feel like they will explode. I have been told many times I will not survive my medical conditions and I am still here soooooo I'll just keep tending to my chickens and garden and prove them wrong
hugs.gif
love.gif
What? WHAT?? NO! This is not acceptable :( You need to call your representative and tell him what the sheriff told you, what the neighbors are doing, that can not stand. You do NOT have to tolerate that kind of torment and threat. You need to put in daily police reports - whatever it takes to get a paper trail. Hell, call the local media. No way do you have to live like that in America - especially TEXAS! I want to come over there and kick some butt FOR you. OMG! I am so mad! I do hope you are well armed at least. Those are not people with a respect for life. And cutting your fence and sending their dogs into your yard has NOTHING to do with leash laws.

What? WHAT?? NO! This is not acceptable
sad.png
You need to call your representative and tell him what the sheriff told you, what the neighbors are doing, that can not stand. You do NOT have to tolerate that kind of torment and threat. You need to put in daily police reports - whatever it takes to get a paper trail. Hell, call the local media. No way do you have to live like that in America - especially TEXAS! I want to come over there and kick some butt FOR you. OMG! I am so mad! I do hope you are well armed at least. Those are not people with a respect for life. And cutting your fence and sending their dogs into your yard has NOTHING to do with leash laws.
My thoughts exactly! She should call the local newspaper and tell them her story. If she doesn't get any help from her representative, go to the next person in line. I hope she is making a 'log' of all of this.

Lisa :)

Thank you for all the replies about fermenting feed outside.  I've gone ahead and I'm giving it a try.  I live in the Piney Woods, so I'm able to find numerous spots that never receive direct sunlight.  I fed some tonight, and they all quickly ate it up.  I'm keeping the "Mother" on hand in case things get out of hand.  Thanks again!

It takes a few days to establish the habit and to play around with which process works best for you, but you will love it! Where are you in the pines?

My thoughts exactly!  She should call the local newspaper and tell them her story. If she doesn't get any help from her representative, go to the next person in line.  I hope she is making a 'log' of all of this.  

If you can prove that they were dumping chemicals on your property and that those chemicals made their way into your food sources, causing your medical issues, then I would be running to an attorney's office to file a lawsuit. If you can prove all this, they should be monetarily liable for your damages (medical expenses, pain and suffering, etc.). I would also be speaking with the local DA's office for possible trespass charges, if not something more severe.

Good luck to you.

Can you experienced chicken keepers give me some advice/information of foxes?

My neighbor came over yesterday to warn me that a brazen fox has killed something like 22 of her chickens this year. She has seen the fox walking down her drive in broad daylight on the day of an attack. She doesn't have a dog.

I've seen this fox crossing my road near my house. It's grey if that makes any difference. So far, I haven't had any issues with predators but have just started free ranging my 8 Ameraucanas that are 4.5 months old. I don't think the cockerels are very protective yet, but they have charged at my Scarlet macaw when she has gone to ground near them.

She will be taking one of my wheaten cockerels. She recommended I keep at least two cockerels to help guard my flock. I only have three pullets free ranging so think that would be problematic. Thoughts?

I also have four Polish pullets about the same age. Currently they are in a tractor set up but I am leaning towards keeping their top knots clipped and free ranging them. I currently have their top knots taped up with electrical tape because they were having so much trouble seeing. One is my avatar--you can see that she is completely blinded by her top knot and muffs/beard. I also have a bantam Plymouth Rock pullet I'll free range. That would bring it up to 8 pullets for 2 cockerels.

I will also have a pen of Silkies and a few frizzle Cochin bantams that I'll keep penned with roof, probably in my big parrot flights to clean dropped food that the parrots waste. I can't imagine free ranging Silkies--I figure they would just be plucked at will by the hawks in the area. Thoughts?

I have four mini Dachshunds who are only out when I am and a pitbull-type mutt that is outside a lot. I think the number of dogs on my property keeps the fox next door; however, I expect she will end up getting some kind of a dog to help protect her poultry.

How do you get rid of a fox? I don't think either of us will be using any kind of a gun.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

I bought my ground pink salt from Mercola and they also sell the blocks. But I found this on the internet which shows pictures and gives a how to on cooking with the blocks. http://www.atthemeadow.com/shop/Resources/Cook-Steak-On-Himalayan-Salt-Block

Here's one of the pictures from that link!

Amazon sells a recipe book for cooking with salt blocks! http://www.amazon.com/Salt-Block-Cooking-Grilling-Himalayan/dp/1449430554/ref=pd_bxgy_gro_text_y

Everything I have read says that it lightly seasons the meat or vegetables. The block has antibacterial properties to help with raw foods like sushi or raw fish. I have read that you can use the blocks on the grill, range top, oven and freezer!
This is super cool. Thanks so much for sharing. I have never seen one before. I read up on them and it seems they can explode if not heated correctly. How long have you had yours? I need to buy a new cutting board. Do you think it would work well for that? I saw on ebay some shot glasses made of salt. The salt bowels and lamps are pretty neat too. Also came across Himalayan salt blocks for horses! Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom