Texas

Could use some help from the locals! Does anyone near San Antonio know where I might possibly get some wood pallets?

Don't know about San Antonio, but I found mine at the local green recycling plant. Also I found some at a local pool place where they sell whirlpools, that and shipping crates. I didn't get those at the pool place, I am sure you would want to make sure they where for shipping the whirl pools and not chemicals. But just some places you might check out. Contractors also seem to take them to the recycling place, many building materials are shipped on them.

New questions (should I start a thread on my plans or is it ok to do this here?)....

I read that making a coop from old shipping pallets was a good way to save money. Good idea?

Would this be a better coop?

I could add more ventilation to my original coop idea though too. More windows at the top that open and close....

Just tell me when I am becoming a pest with the questions. I do tend to over think and over plan at times.....

Our first coop, we spent over $600.
They did fine in this coop this past summer; however, I think we had a mild summer. There is ventilation at the top 12-18 inches as well as two 12sq windows on each end. During the day we would often leave the end access door 36x 30 open as well.

Our second maybe $50.

Last two are of the finished coop. Basically I bought some screws and hardware cloth and poultry netting. so maybe more like $100. The poultry netting and run fencing costs I have not included in either coop cost.

I thought people took the crates apart when they made their coops. That is what I plan to do at least.

Boy did I have a day today. I got up and started cleaning the house, then went for a 32 mile bike ride (it was windy!) which is actually a short ride for me, then I when I got back I mowed the lawn (1/4 acre), edged and trimmed and cleaned up, planted a rose bush and some herbs. When I was done with all that I finished cleaning the house. I'm finishing up the laundry now and watching an old movie.

Just finished vaccinating the flock for fowl pox. It's always sad to hear the little squeaks from unsuspecting chicks and hens, but luckily we got it done pretty fast. The turkeys got treated for their sores (they are really bad right now, and I'm not sure what else to do). I might try and help alleviate the sores. Jenny seems to have dry pox, but Tom has sores that look a bit swollen. If the sores look like they are pus-filled, should I try and...um...pop them? I just sprayed on some iodine, which I hope helps, but I'm willing to do whatever I can. They don't seem to be bothered, but the sores are getting really close to Tom's eyes. How would I deal with that?
hu.gif

Other than that, we went to a couple feed stores today. After getting the vaccine, we picked up a bale of hay and 100 lbs of feed. One of the feed stores was having customer appreciation month, so I picked up a $20 bag of layer pellets for $14.50! Mom started looking at chicks, but I know what happens when I have to care for chicks. Though, they had barred rock chicks for $1.80....nope, nope, I don't need anymore, haha!

Now, I'm exhausted. I need to finish some work and then I need to sleep. I almost forgot that having a job meant you had to work, hehe!
gig.gif

New questions (should I start a thread on my plans or is it ok to do this here?).... I read that making a coop from old shipping pallets was a good way to save money. Good idea? Would this be a better coop? I could add more ventilation to my original coop idea though too. More windows at the top that open and close.... Just tell me when I am becoming a pest with the questions. I do tend to over think and over plan at times.....
Our first coop, we spent over $600. They did fine in this coop this past summer; however, I think we had a mild summer. There is ventilation at the top 12-18 inches as well as two 12sq windows on each end. During the day we would often leave the end access door 36x 30 open as well. Our second maybe $50. Last two are of the finished coop. Basically I bought some screws and hardware cloth and poultry netting. so maybe more like $100. The poultry netting and run fencing costs I have not included in either coop cost.
:thumbsup

I thought people took the crates apart when they made their coops. That is what I plan to do at least.

Boy did I have a day today. I got up and started cleaning the house, then went for a 32 mile bike ride (it was windy!) which is actually a short ride for me, then I when I got back I mowed the lawn (1/4 acre), edged and trimmed and cleaned up, planted a rose bush and some herbs. When I was done with all that I finished cleaning the house. I'm finishing up the laundry now and watching an old movie.
Taking pallets apart is a lot of work. Pulling nails often splits the the wood. We took some apart using a sawsall, but it vibrates a lot! Just saying.

Back
Top Bottom