Texas

@Starfire669 is currently on her way home with 5 of the best ducks in the world! WooHoo!

- TieDyeMommy

Thanks again for the Quakers! They are too cute. And your daughter is adorible. When she asked about my piercing I was expecting her to also ask about the pictures painted on my skin as well. I was surprised when she didn't ask about my tattoos, lol. Anyway the ducks are doing fine, exploring their strange new home. I am about to run them into the coop for a bite to eat and to show them the way home. I'll get pics of them a bit later.

P.S. my cat Patches is terrified of them lol!

You need a remote zapping coller and you need it fast. 

He doesn't respond to it.

I had to teach my cat aggressive male dog to tolerate cats, and also my high drive Siberian Huskies. It wasn't hard thoughts he has a very high need to please me, and all but 1 husky was a pup. I installed baby/dog cats in 2 places in my house so the cats could get through but not the dogs. I then brought out the cat in my arms and let them smell it, if they growled or threatened the cat I slapped them across the muzzle. Only 1 smack and never to hurt. I never let the cat on the floor in the same room as the dog until the dog did not growl or raise its hackles at the cat anymore. The first few times the dog chased the cats, they got spanked, in the 1 extreme chicken killers case I resorted to a remote control shock collar. She quickly got the idea. So in a nut shell you claim the cat as your property in a way the dog understands, and discipline the dog for disobeying the rules. You must be the pack leader for it to work though, if you have to resort to brute force then the dog does not respect you as the alpha. If done right and consistently you will end up with scenes like this in your house. Out of my 6 dogs, 2 really really love their kitties, the other 4 either ignore them or tolerate them.

The problem is this dog came from a single family home with no other pets.

He is picking up on clicker training for obedience purposes.

When the cats are outside he's a doll. No problems. Very alert and stalks the windows when there's a new noise outside. He's not "me trained" so he's leashed to me when out doors. Redirection training has fallen short. He wants the cats!

I put him in the kennel when they come inside but he rolls it. I don't think he was ever kenneled. His former owner is a police officer and is gone for a month training. I can't get in touch with him, but I know he loves the dog. He cried when I picked him up.

Mack loves to play. Loves toys. Doesn't bring them back when you throw them though he will bring you a toy.

So far he's shown no interest in the chickens.

I have no problem leashing him when we are outside and furthering his training but I told the former owner via email if I can't cat proof him by the time he gets home I can not risk my cats.

I also have a crippled senor horse that can't run and Mack nipped her last night. She cant fight back.

I've never dealt with a dog that doesn't know no. Doesn't know to respect its handler... he knows the aahhnt sound. I'm just worried... it's much easier to work with a dog that respects me.

It's been two days. Maybe he will settle in. Maybe not.

Oh. Also my dogs I already have sleep with the cats. Blue got between Mack and his cat Ko-T earlier. I barely got them separated after the fight started. They're good now, no more issues as long as the cats arent in the picture.

Good afternoon everyone! Just thought I'd drop in and brag. I'm getting on a plane tomorrow heading to Puerto Vallarta, Mexico for long weekend deep sea fishing, sun bathing, and mojito-drinking. If I do not return, I hereby bequeath all my chickens, coop, run, and supplies to the good people of BYC-Texas.

If I do come back, then I will be in the market for a 5 pack (1 rooster, 4 hens) of any of the following breeds: Golden-Laced Wyandottes, Speckled Sussex, Ameraucanas, Icelandics, Black Copper Marans, or Old English Game. Shoot me a PM if you will have any of these available. I prefer 6 weeks and older.

He doesn't respond to it.
The problem is this dog came from a single family home with no other pets.

He is picking up on clicker training for obedience purposes.

When the cats are outside he's a doll. No problems. Very alert and stalks the windows when there's a new noise outside. He's not "me trained" so he's leashed to me when out doors. Redirection training has fallen short. He wants the cats!

I put him in the kennel when they come inside but he rolls it. I don't think he was ever kenneled. His former owner is a police officer and is gone for a month training. I can't get in touch with him, but I know he loves the dog. He cried when I picked him up.

Mack loves to play. Loves toys. Doesn't bring them back when you throw them though he will bring you a toy.

So far he's shown no interest in the chickens.

I have no problem leashing him when we are outside and furthering his training but I told the former owner via email if I can't cat proof him by the time he gets home I can not risk my cats.

I also have a crippled senor horse that can't run and Mack nipped her last night. She cant fight back.

I've never dealt with a dog that doesn't know no. Doesn't know to respect its handler... he knows the aahhnt sound. I'm just worried... it's much easier to work with a dog that respects me.

It's been two days. Maybe he will settle in. Maybe not.

Training a high prey drive dog to leave small animals alone is a trail and error thing, what works for 1 dog doesn't work for another. I don't remember how many different strategies I went through before all my dogs were cat friendly. My chicken killer husky was the hardest, but we got her sorted out and she ignores they cats, they are now beneath her notice, which is a good thing. I would suggest working to gain the dogs trust and respect first. You can't train him if he does not acknowledge you as the alpha, period. After you have his respect you should be able to make him obey. Reward his good behavior, and show your displeasure when he disobeys. That is really all dog training is about.

Thanks again for the Quakers! They are too cute. And your daughter is adorible. When she asked about my piercing I was expecting her to also ask about the pictures painted on my skin as well. I was surprised when she didn't ask about my tattoos, lol. Anyway the ducks are doing fine, exploring their strange new home. I am about to run them into the coop for a bite to eat and to show them the way home. I'll get pics of them a bit later.

P.S. my cat Patches is terrified of them lol!

Thanks! My husband & I have tattoos, so she knows what those are. So glad everyone is getting along ao well. :)

- TieDyeMommy

Thanks! My husband & I have tattoos, so she knows what those are. So glad everyone is getting along ao well. :)

- TieDyeMommy

How did you feed the ducks? They don't seem to know what a hanging feeder is.

The ducks are staying on the opposite side of the yard from the geese. They are like "no way will I get by you guys" and the feeling seems to be mutual. The geese got upset when the ducks started drinking out of their 2 pools! Mean, greedy things. They will get along though, it takes a week or 2 for the geese to accept new members to their flock. The trick is to let them see each other every night, separated by wire and let them mingle everyday in the yard with lots of places to run! I set up a pool where to ducks are hanging out, so they can drink, swim, and play without mean goosey interference. My parents both came over and think they are cute. My dad and husband asked me which was for dinner. :eek:.
My oldest son is home sick, he was throwing up in class, which is why I kinda hung up. I recognized the schools number on my cell phone. He is past out in bed and didn't really pay attention to the ducks, but he will be head over heals when he is feeling better! Poor ducks really want to be friends with my chickens though, and my chickens won't have it. Lol.

Back
Top Bottom