Texas

Anybody use shredded newspaper as nesting material? It's soft, it's free and it's compostable! Thoughts?
my main worry is that they would eat it i don't know if it would hurt them or not
idunno.gif

i seem to have the worst luck with exploding eggs the first hatch i had i was viewing an egg when i dropped it and it exploded on me and this time. last night around 3 i smelled a horrible smell in my room and tracked it to the incubator and found out it was coming from one of the egg's i didn't see any movement so i put it in a baggie to crack it open and as soon as i turned around bam-o rotten egg got all over the counter. But it looks like the duckling piped on the wrong end through a vein the duckling had to have done this a few days ago to have the smell that bad.

But for the good news the other 5 egg's have all piped but the first wrong end pip seems to have gotten shrink wrapped so i will give it another day if it's still not out by tomorrow morning then i will intervene. some weird has happened with the egg's though all the egg's have external pip's sense yesterday but none other then the wrong end pip have tried to zip yet.

I wish i could show you all pics but i found out last night that my camera ran out of juice and that i was out of AAA battery's long after all the local stores closed. so my dad is out buying me some as we speak.
It seems a LOT of people are having hatching egg/incubator problems this year. I can't remember what thread I was on where they were discussing it but this Spring has seemed especially tough for people trying to hatch. I don't think it applies to broodies, only those incubating. No idea what it is..

Anybody use shredded newspaper as nesting material? It's soft, it's free and it's compostable! Thoughts?
I'm interested! Makes sense...

While laying on my back inside the chicken tractor I'm building, installing the ramp, I get a chicken's eye view of our mini-pin, Harley lol

Last edited:
Anyone here from amarillo texas?
Nope, but
frow.gif
from Austin!

While laying on my back inside the chicken tractor I'm building, installing the ramp, I get a chicken's eye view of our mini-pin, Harley lol
I love min-pins, great pic!

I don't see any reason not to use it if you shred it good. Newspaper can be a little slick for them to walk on, but shredded well, it would work. Then again I use hay and deep littler method, so...

well i was getting ready for bed when i heard a ruckus from my incubator when i saw this
this little baby came into the world at 9:37pm i thought he would be the only one to hatch on his own when i heard another ruckus coming from my incubator then i saw this

it sucks that i can't spend the day with them tomorrow because of work but I'll see them when i get home they are in the inside brooder until everyone gets out of their shells. but i have a question about the one egg to the top of them that did a half zip and stopped it has been half zipped sense Thursday morning
hmm.png
should i assist?

Back
Top Bottom