Texas

I remember my dog back in the 80's running away from me when I called her and I was mad at her. Every dog since, I've made a point TO call them in angry voices and when they come, praise them - since they did just obey. They get the picture pretty quick. It's harder for people, I think, to switch gears quickly from anger to praise, but when the dog can do this, it sure beats having them run into traffic or something dangerous to get away from a mad human!

I am ready for Spring. This is my favorite view.

I remember my dog back in the 80's running away from me when I called her and I was mad at her.  Every dog since, I've made a point TO call them in angry voices and when they come, praise them - since they did just obey.  They get the picture pretty quick.  It's harder for people, I think, to switch gears quickly from anger to praise, but when the dog can do this, it sure beats having them run into traffic or something dangerous to get away from a mad human!

I agree, I call my dogs in all kinds of different tones so they learn to come no matter what. But I never ever hit them when they come to me, I always praise them! Sometimes I'll smile and say "I really want to strangle you, but thanks for listening to me!" In as happy a voice as I can!

I agree, I call my dogs in all kinds of different tones so they learn to come no matter what. But I never ever hit them when they come to me, I always praise them! Sometimes I'll smile and say "I really want to strangle you, but thanks for listening to me!" In as happy a voice as I can!

Star that sounds like something I would do. Two of ours have a tendency to hit the woods and chase scent trails if I forget to shut the gate... They'll be gone hours and when they get home I'm doing my best to smile and get them in the house without strangling them.

Star that sounds like something I would do. Two of ours have a tendency to hit the woods and chase scent trails if I forget to shut the gate... They'll be gone hours and when they get home I'm doing my best to smile and get them in the house without strangling them.

Yeah, they do all kinds of naughty things! So I grit my teeth, smile, and tell them off in a happy voice. Most people think I am insane when they see me doing that, but my dogs aren't scared of me and listen most of the time, so it's worth it.

Last edited:
I've got 16 that are laying on a daily basis and two that have just hatched chicks. Call me crazy but during the cold weather I keep them locked up inside with heat lamps and automatic lighting so they have 16 hrs of light and they have been laying pretty much all winter. I've got 6 BR pullets that are just now old enough to start laying and a couple of them started since I've had them inside. The other morning it was 18 outside and 54 inside the chicken house. I've noticed that if you can keep them above the 45-50 degree range 24/7 they will lay non stop or at least at 70% of normal. I feed a 16% layer pellet and green grass daily when they are indoors. The house has about 150 sq ft of floor with a 9 ft ceiling so I don't think they are cramped. I'm incubating pretty much every egg I get except the pullet eggs so I want all I can get.

Howdy!!! Joined BYC in December and have loved every minute of it. I live in Garwood - 20 minutes north of El Campo.
Welcome!

Hello Everyone:

I am located in East Texas near Lufkin. Was wondering if there were any breeders of Salmon Faverolles in Texas.....any that might on this thread ? I am interested in both the Large Fowl and the Bantams in the Salmon.....preferably chicks, juveniles or adults rather than hatching eggs. I do show poultry so they wouild need to be close to their ABA Standard. PM me if you have anything or know of someone who might. Thanks so much.

Peggy
There is a lay in Conroe that I talked to...geez..it was a bit ago.
I might still have her email somewhere..I think I shared it recently.
I think she hatches in spring or summer.
If I can find it I'll PM you.

I wish I had some from her! But I was impatient and ended up getting a hatchery Faverolle..who is sweet but...not even close to ...resembling SOP lol.
I know hatcheries don't strive for those standards, but you wouldn't even know her breed by looking at her lol.

I am ready for Spring. This is my favorite view.
Um...I'd take that view! lol
But not your neighbors or HOA..lol

If anyone is looking for a pet cat, I have some spayed females needing homes.

I caught Ivory after a duck of mine was killed by a tomcat. Instead of catching the killer I caught this grey tabby kitten! I named her Ivory after the duck, since the ducks death saved the kittens life. It seemed appropriate. I ended up saving Ebony, a solid black female, at my sons school. I saw 2 boys repeatedly call the cat over and then kick her. Her tail was ripped open, and abscessed. We were able to save her tail and get her back to good health. Ebony is old enough to have had at least 1 litter of kittens in the past. She sometimes acts like a dog, comes when called and, because she is scared of my dogs, she loves her crate, lol. She is let our every day, but locked in at night, and the dang cat is usually in her bed in the crate before we go looking for her! The last girl, Kagura, is a calico kitty who is the daughter of my outside cat Patches and looks nearly identical to her mother. Kagura is sweet and loves dogs, she is a year old and an indoor only kitty. She needs more attention than I can give her right now with my busy schedule. Ebony would be good either as an indoor or outdoor kitty, as long as she has shelter if kept outdoors. Ivory can only be indoors.

Ivory

Ebony

Kagura

If interested please PM me for more information.

Last edited:
If anyone is looking for a pet cat, I have some spayed females needing homes.

I caught Ivory after a duck of mine was killed by a tomcat. Instead of catching the killer I caught this grey tabby kitten! I named her Ivory after the duck, since the ducks death saved the kittens life. It seemed appropriate. I ended up saving Ebony, a solid black female, at my sons school. I saw 2 boys repeatedly call the cat over and then kick her. Her tail was ripped open, and abscessed. We were able to save her tail and get her back to good health. Ebony is old enough to have had at least 1 litter of kittens in the past. She sometimes acts like a dog, comes when called and, because she is scared of my dogs, she loves her crate, lol. She is let our every day, but locked in at night, and the dang cat is usually in her bed in the crate before we go looking for her! The last girl, Kagura, is a calico kitty who is the daughter of my outside cat Patches and looks nearly identical to her mother. Kagura is sweet and loves dogs, she is a year old and an indoor only kitty. She needs more attention than I can give her right now with my busy schedule. Ebony would be good either as an indoor or outdoor kitty, as long as she has shelter if kept outdoors. Ivory can only be indoors.

Ivory

Ebony

Kagura

If interested please PM me for more information.

You might let folks know where you are at, so someone within driving distance might take you up on it. For instance if you are in Round Rock, someone from there or a neighboring town might have their interest piqued.

I have a Tom, and he is a good hunter, as long as I keep him and the chickens separated. But, he is a good mouser/mole killer, which deprives the snakes of their food source and makes them less likely to come around.

You might let folks know where you are at, so someone within driving distance might take you up on it.  For instance if you are in Round Rock, someone from there or a neighboring town might have their interest piqued.

I have a Tom, and he is a good hunter, as long as I keep him and the chickens separated.  But, he is a good mouser/mole killer, which deprives the snakes of their food source and makes them less likely to come around.

I am south San Antonio.

Back
Top Bottom