Texas

Odd question for those of you for whom prickly pear is a nuisance/weed:

I'm clearing the "wild" part of my property in preparation for (finally) getting it properly fenced in - the work crews need to have access without having to wade through waist deep grasses, lantana and mesquite saplings! I've been using my (very tough) mower to just systematically go over and shred everything - very hard work in this heat. I am doing the same for the prickly pear, just running it over - I don't really have too many proper big stands any more, but the pads keep popping up. (And I'm sure they'll regrow form the shredding bits, form my experience.)

For those of you who range your chickens in this sort of terrain, are there any problems with prickly pear, or any of the other thorned weeds? It seems that it is the rare weed/native plant that ISN'T thorned, some of them wickedly so. While I'd like to assume they'd be smart enough not to eat something like that if it would hurt them (e.g., swallowing spines), and to stay away if it scratches them, I thought it would be worth asking. (Eye injuries?) Also, anyone have issues with ducks and this sort of vegetation? I'm possibly getting muscovies in the spring, and was hoping to let them roam most of the property (about an acre in the back).

I'll sit here and search BYC as well while I rest - I have to let my body temperature come back down before going back out there...
th.gif

- Ant Farm
It sounds like you live right next door to me. I have not had any problems with cactus and my chickens or ducks. We keep the mesquite cleared on our farm but let it grow on the fields next to the mowed field and cattle graze there. We do keep the lantana cut because it is poisonous to most animals and we choose to err on the side of caution. Good luck in this heat. Too bad you can't just get a burn permit and wipe it all out at once. But then you would probably be on the 6 o'clock news.

We have a constant battle with prickly pear on our place. It will eventually take over if you do not kill it back. It also provides cover for rodents and snakes while sucking quite a bit of ground water. JMHO
Ed Thomas
Lampasas, Texas

Incuview second hatch final report: Only eleven chicks survived the hatch. All the others were extremely big chicks and died before piping or shortly there after. I feel like the humidity was just too high and the chicks were too big. So I will keep less water in the incubator next round and see what happens. I pulled all the guinea eggs from the nest in the brush pile to put in the incubator but none were developed at all and she has been sitting for two weeks. I guess the 103 degree days got them. So I will just run chicken eggs next go round.
Ed Thomas
Lampasas, Texas

My father-in-law used to feed them to cattle after they burned the thorns off. Try not to shred it, it will root its self. Most people I know take it down with a machete and then burn it in a burn pile.

You can burn the thorns off with a propane torch and then the animals will eat it. Deer, goats etc. The fruit makes good jelly.

Surprised nobody mentioned eating the leaves....you of course must get rid of the thorns....but otherwise...very tasty with tomatoes and onion
...(a cross between okra and green beans in flavor) .....

EDIT: Forgot to mention...must be young leaves....

Last edited:
It sounds like you live right next door to me. I have not had any problems with cactus and my chickens or ducks. We keep the mesquite cleared on our farm but let it grow on the fields next to the mowed field and cattle graze there. We do keep the lantana cut because it is poisonous to most animals and we choose to err on the side of caution. Good luck in this heat. Too bad you can't just get a burn permit and wipe it all out at once. But then you would probably be on the 6 o'clock news.
I didn't think about that for the lantana. That'll be a big job to keep that cleared, but as I kind of hate it, I'll be motivated.

My father-in-law used to feed them to cattle after they burned the thorns off. Try not to shred it, it will root its self. Most people I know take it down with a machete and then burn it in a burn pile.

Alas, shredding is what happens when I need to clear quickly like this. I'll tidy up afterwards. Interestingly, that last time I paid someone to clear part of the property (to put in a garden), there was an extra $100 just for the prickly pear, because they can't shred and mulch, and need to dispose of it separately...
You can burn the thorns off with a propane torch and then the animals will eat it. Deer, goats etc. The fruit makes good jelly.
Yeah, I am actually hoping to see if I can get some of the tunas off the big stands I have...

I've been at it off and on all day - it's HOT out there - and it's hard work running a mower over small shrubs and little saplings. I'm gonna be SORE...

OK, back outside again for another round. (I'm on a deadline so the fencing folks can come in and start.)

- Ant Farm

Hi folks, newbie from the Panhandle here with a question. Any advice regarding keeping my pullets from sleeping in the nesting boxes?

I have a pre-fab coop and run at the moment, which includes space for nesting boxes. I've not had the dividers in until now, and they've always slept all crushed up in the corner of the coop where the boxes would be. But a couple of my girls are really getting red combs and wattles, with quite a bit of growth of both, so today i gave them a higher roost in the middle of the coop and set up the boxes with pine shavings, and even golf balls in each nest area.

Tonight when I went to shut the coop door, there they are, all snuggled up together again, in one of the nest boxes. All four of them. My understanding is that I should discourage them from sleeping in the nest boxes to avoid eventual poop on their eggs. I grabbed each one and put her on the new roost, but I'm pretty sure they'll all be back in the box in the morning. Probably already are.

Can they sleep in one nest and still know the others are to lay in? Is there any way to get them out of the box and up on the roost? Thanks for your help!

--coopmom56

Back
Top Bottom