Texas

Yes, they will colonize inside any space they think is safe. Honey bees will colonize inside buildings, under buildings, basically anywhere they feel safe and protected from the elements and threats. Feral bees routinely colonize inside hollow trees in the wild. Many times if you seal up the main opening and aren't thorough there will be gaps or alternative ways they can get in and out. Texas is warm enough to have Africanized Honey Bees (AHBs). Unless you're very skilled, it's hard to tell them apart by appearance. AHBs will attempt to "take over" a European honey bee colony if they find one. AHB's can be worked just like any other honey bee colony, you just have to use more smoke and better PPE. You also have to understand and warn others to stay away and to keep their animals away while you're working them. I kept bees in Colorado and recently moved down here to TX. I haven't set up my hives yet but have every intention of doing so. I understand the AHBs are actually better honey producers than the European bees.
AHBs will take over an European hive and they are very efficient honey producers. Their disadvantages are among others are their responses to perceived threats that Europeans completely ignore, the exaggerated aggression to the threat and the extended time and distance the response continues. Probably one of their worst habits is their intolerance to hive management and manipulation which they respond to by readily absconding for seemingly no reason. Cant make much honey if the workers run away all the tim

If the bees had colonized inside the tree as in a hollow trunk, then after the bees were removed the tree should also been removed since the heartwood of the trunk is rotten and the tree is a liability during a storm. If in a major branch then if there is potential for property damage if it breaks it also should have been removed back to sound wood. Bees have a pretty good sense of smell and while nectar is generally their first preference, during the absence of of any nectar flows like winter, bees will rob honey. If they just showed up during the winter it's a pretty good bet they are robbers. Also if one swarm found that tree a suitable environment for colonization and there is access combined with the presence of honey and wax, chances are it will be recolonized by another swarm will likely recolonize it next year.

When I was a high school Ag student I maintained about a dozen hives to fulfill y AG project requirement. Fast forward about 2 decades +/- with 3 of my own kids in 4H is got back into it for several years. Truth be told, I find honey to be extremely distasteful. I think it is disgusting. The only honey I ever really liked and couldn't get enough of was when we were uncapping frames for extraction. I could never get enough of that cappings honey. Absolutely delightful. Eat the wax and the honey. It was the only honey that I could taste the predominant nectar flor when the bees were collecting
They were in a hollow branch. The tree is still alive. It is a big oak in one of our pastures. We live on 113 acres so no worry about property damage. I do recall the bee man cutting the branch off. He must have not sealed it well enough.

yippiechickie.gif

It was a long, 10 month wait, but one of my EE finally delivered!!!!

Hey Ya'll!!

I'm in Granbury, Texas just joined the group and the whole raising chicken experience. Can't wait to get started. I have a plymouth rock Rooster named Mr.C. We are working on building a coop and stuff this weekend. He just showed up a few days ago and I couldn't find where he came from so were gonna keep him. Yall share some tips and tricks on building a coop and all that would be awesome.

Thanks
Stephanie

Okay fellow Texans, I need your help! I am looking for a mille fleur Belgian d"Uccle pullet or a mille fleur/calico or barred bantam cochin. I am in Houston and I know someone has to have one or know of someone who does. I am willing to drive a ways or wait a little while for shipping. Can anyone help?!?! I am obsessed! My husband is out Super Bowl celebrity stalking and of course I am sitting at home chicken shopping.

Last edited:
Hey Ya'll!!

I'm in Granbury, Texas just joined the group and the whole raising chicken experience. Can't wait to get started. I have a plymouth rock Rooster named Mr.C. We are working on building a coop and stuff this weekend. He just showed up a few days ago and I couldn't find where he came from so were gonna keep him. Yall share some tips and tricks on building a coop and all that would be awesome.

Thanks
Stephanie

frow.gif
Welcome from Rosenberg! We will need to see a picture of Mr. C. Good luck on building the coop. Beware of 'Chicken Math'.
Okay fellow Texans, I need your help! I am looking for a mille fleur Belgian d"Uccle pullet or a mille fleur/calico bantam orpington. I am in Houston and I know someone has to have one or know of someone who does. I am willing to drive a ways or wait a little while for shipping. Can anyone help?!?! I am obsessed! My husband is out Super Bowl celebrity stalking and of course I am sitting at home chicken shopping.

Your post made me laugh. I wish you luck on finding your mille fleur chicken.

Back
Top Bottom