Texas

So last night over drinks on the back porch watching our chicken... We decided we're going to go ahead and let one of our broodies win and have some eggs. So it's going to be a mix of Sumatra, oegb, and using our own silkiecochin roos. I had to chase down the feral oegb 2 collect her egg today she was quite sneaky. But that feral girl always is sneaking around eyeballing us if we are outside.

We currently have four hens on lockdown for intractable broodiness. I am hopeful that our nasty Hilde goes broody because it's fun to watch her terrorizing the animals and we have one cat that needs to learn about chicken. That one Siamese that we got when I was building the bachelor pad loves to chase and scare them but she never catches them.

Last edited:
I've been guarding The henhouse and all the egg boxes. Labeling the eggs that I know who laid them. I'll reconfirm them all later under the UV light and stick a batch of Sumatra eggs under the first available broody. Unfortunately had I knew we had this plan I could have had Hilde about 3 days ago. She took two days to break and you wouldn't believe how many bites and scratches I got from that girl getting her off the nest and putting her in prison. She is the worst my wife doesn't even want to go near her when she's broody. And all of our 55 + pound dogs run in fear from her too.

So I set a Sumatra trap just now with 4 eggs that I know came from which birds. My trap is a cat transport box filled with hay. And we've got three running circles around it right now eyeball in those eggs.

Last edited:
So, this is Sunday on i-35e southbound in Dallas proper.....

Even on bad snowy days, years ago were busier then this..... IMG_20200329_135010401.jpg IMG_20200329_135059300.jpg IMG_20200329_135215106.jpg

Sorry images are so large. Directly uploaded from phone....

Attachments

• IMG_20200329_135839267.jpg
    IMG_20200329_135839267.jpg
    615.8 KB · Views: 2
To all of our DFW BYCers I express my sincerest condolences for that accident that occurred at I-20 and 45 yesterday. Such a shame a whole load of toilet paper went up in flames. I didn't get a report on any injuries but I think there were none.

Never mind I just went to nbcdfw.com and the toilet paper was just scattered it didn't burn hope you got there in time to pick some up 😜

Hopefully my kitty cat has learned her lesson. Hilde is still quite pseudo broody and attacked her this morning. I really hope she learned her lesson that chicken are not cat toys. It was funny as heck seeing the shock on that cat's face after the attack.
:lau I have a Reeves pheasant that escaped 10 months ago...yeah, still alive. Anyway, he loves to attack George, my Jack Russel, that stupid bird ran George back to the house this afternoon, George ran inside an acted like I should have protected him from the bad bird! :lau

I dont think I've introduced myself as a fellow Texan yet, but I am one, and quite proud of it. I'm in the greater Waco area. My chickens live in China Spring (just north of it) and I live in Hewitt (just south). And I'm not a fan of our local HGTV stars.

I have a few ducks, a few full grown chickens, and I just bought more bantams than I should have from my local feed store. I raise my birds for eggs and as pets.

Back
Top Bottom