Texas

Better luck this year! Brother has a lot of predator issues. From the hawks nesting in the tree in the front yard to raccoon, owls, possums and stray dogs. A secure coop is a must.

Of course, he has 40 acres and I'm limited to my backyard. Makes a world of difference.

Cheers and enjoy the cool rain today! Summer is coming.
My next door neighbor has a brother who loves my Sumatra. He tells me that bobcats are taking his guineas out of the trees. He must have a lot of acreage to own guineas I personally would need 40 acres for those fowl.

Also I've seen my first two raccoons dead on the street since moving down here. I hope they stay dead on the street and not in my yard. Dead in my yard would be fine too but I don't think the cat is up to it.

The weirdest thing is my pseudo broody Hildy is laying daily shrieking daily at us anytime she sees us but her eggs are only half of the normal size. I am a big boy but that bird scares me and my wife. She really can't be trivialized even if she's only 5.5 lbs of chicken evil. These chicken can fly and a 6 foot tall person can still get a face full of angry chicken if she goes on the warpath.

Last edited:
My next door neighbor has a brother who loves my Sumatra. He tells me that bobcats are taking his guineas out of the trees. He must have a lot of acreage to own guineas I personally would need 40 acres for those fowl.

Also I've seen my first two raccoons dead on the street since moving down here. I hope they stay dead on the street and not in my yard. Dead in my yard would be fine too but I don't think the cat is up to it.

The weirdest thing is my pseudo broody Hildy is laying daily shrieking daily at us anytime she sees us but her eggs are only half of the normal size. I am a big boy but that bird scares me and my wife. She really can't be trivialized even if she's only 5.5 lbs of chicken evil. These chicken can fly and a 6 foot tall person can still get a face full of angry chicken if she goes on the warpath.
Just be glad she isn't 6 feet tall! :D

Getting set in for the evening for the with a Corona watch party!

Attachments

• IMG_20200405_200559618.jpg
    IMG_20200405_200559618.jpg
    291.6 KB · Views: 3
Good Morning and Welcome!
Hope everyone is healthy and getting a lot of around the house projects done.
Cheers!
Semi oyster shell brooding chicken is back to brooding oyster shells again. She either rejected the three viable eggs I gave her or one of my dogs and or a wild animal got to them. She has now moved back to Broody breaking prison since she is a lost cause. We're down to five eggs that were set on the 31st and Hilde is back in charge with to Sumatra helpers if they're lucky they have one egg each but being tolerated. I'll be putting my silkies in two breaking boxes around day 17 still on the 16th as I do not want any losses from Broody hens playing soccer with new chicks. Time will tell how this goes but every single one of the silkie roosters are worthless in defense of the hens. They scream alarms but do not run out and attack birds of prey or other animals.

Last edited:
Okay I'm going to get in trouble from my wife later but I just called Ideal poultry and I've ordered five new Sumatra day olds. They're going to arrive 6 days prior to my hatch out date but I'll find a way to make them all work.I just don't want to have any more hawk losses this year when winter comes back around. But thirty bucks for cockerels probably of which only three Will survive their first few days here isn't a bad price for a good rooster. Particularly a rooster that's been raised by an established flock I miss those Sumara daring birds of prey to come down and get some. The last time we ordered cockrell from them we had ordered three and only one survived a 24-hour window.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom