Texas

My thoughts on misting are that it's like if you jump in a swimming hole, on a hot day, with your jeans on. They don't dry. They just cling to you, and you feel hotter. Same with chicken feathers.
A good mud puddle that they can scratch in, without getting their feathers wet, or a shallow pool to stand in, are the best ideas for chickens in humid areas.

I was adopted by a duck. Until this time, I kept the water contained. The duck has special needs. First time I've seen a chicken willingly stand in a water bowl. Just standing there.

Now I know why so much dirt gets into the water bowl.

The cement mixing tub doesn't get that much dirt. The duck uses both. The chickens drink from both but only stand in the water bowl. The duck has the whole tub to himself.

What I do is use one of those larger size rubber livestock feed tubs and fill it with shallow, cool water with ice for them to step in. It cools of their feet and spreads to the rest of their body. I also give them frozen treats like frozen corn or blueberries. I also made homemade electrolytes to mix in their water as well as ice cubes. I put the hose on mist mode if its not humid for about an hour and it wets the run making cool mud for them. I'm also installing a box fan inside the coop for them. Also, a dust bathing area in the shade helps cool down their body temps. I just lost a chicken to Heat Stroke a few days ago so I'm trying to step up more to the plate.

My thoughts on misting are that it's like if you jump in a swimming hole, on a hot day, with your jeans on. They don't dry. They just cling to you, and you feel hotter. Same with chicken feathers.
A good mud puddle that they can scratch in, without getting their feathers wet, or a shallow pool to stand in, are the best ideas for chickens in humid areas.
It's not humid where I'm at our maybe in the 15-20 percent range at best.

Sorry, I hit "post" before I was done- lol! Anyways, my girls love the mister. I've stood next to it and it's so hot and dry here that it literally cools the air down significantly where it's misting. I have it attached to a potted plant near the tree they hang out under and it creates a cool area as the hot wind blows (always windy here). It definitely wouldn't work in humid conditions. I have buckets of water that they stand in too that get dumped and replenished as they get pooped in throughout the day. Around 3pm I put out the ice blocks that they congregate around. Those don't completely melt until about 8pm when it's almost bedtime for them. Lots of deep shade, fresh water everywhere, electrolytes if they choose, ice and mister. It's working for us. 😊

Back
Top Bottom