Texas

Hey everyone!! I need help!! In the last month and a half my flock has gone from 68 birds to 30!!!!! due to childrens' dogs (which we are finding new homes for) and neighbors dogs!! (which the sheriff said we couldn't shoot because although we caught the dog in the act of killing my birds (and it's owner confessed that it's gotten my birds before, unless we shoot it "in the act" it would be animal cruelty and the owner seems to forgetting to chain the dog) I am having to temporarily fence my girls in. They were NOT happy with me this morning - but better ticked off than dead!! Anyhow, my run is completely devoid of any type of vegetation, either for bugs or for camouflage. They've been allowed to free range on 5 acres, so up til now their bare run hasn't been an issue. Can those of ya'll who have been doing this for awhile help with what type of plants I can put in there? My co worker has offered me some angel trumphets and a Catalpa tree and I'm having trouble finding out whether or not the catalpa is poisonous to poultry. I'll be doing major work in there there is weekend tilling up and planting grass seed (the run is about at LEAST 400 sf, so I've got plenty of room to play with to plant stuff. I'm just looking for stuff that will hold up well in with our heat, so I figured my peeps here in Texas would best be able to help me!!

Oh and I found a person to buy Marans from!! Thanks everyone for the tips!! I'll post pics when I finally get them.

Quote:
I'm making some wire covered 4ft square planter boxes to plant grass in. I'm making them out of 2x4's. So they will be 4 inches high with hardware mesh on the tops. Basically the planters let the grass grow up and through the mesh on the tops of the boxes where the chickens can eat it
smile.png

I will post pictures after I get one assembled... actually let me see if I can find a picture of the one I got the idea from...

Quote:
frow.gif
Welcome cmfarm, glad to have you on our "Home Thread". Just about everybody on BYC is a friend, but EVERYBODY on our Texas thread is friendly & helpful!!!
smile.png

I'm just getting started with BCM, had cuckoo marans for a few years, also starting golden cuckoos. Love those dark brown eggs!!!
welcome-byc.gif

Quote:
OH OH, I saw something like this just the other day. She called them 'salad bars'.
Search user list for arianna..........click on her 'view my byc page'..........she's got a bunch of great pics of her run & salad bars!!!!!!

Hi! I also live in San Marcos (though I'm truly closer to Wimberly), and glad to have my new campine and ameraucana chicks!

Hey cmfarm!!! Welcome aboard!!
smile.png
i LOVE LOVE LOVE this site.

shesaredroan, I checked out arianna's site. OMGoodness!!! I'm so going copy some of her awesomeness!!! I've gotta do something. In the last 3 months I've gone from 68 head to 30!! from dogs (mainly). I love the wire on top and would like to do that also. Dang it!!! every time I get on here I get more freakin ideas!!!!

Hey guys, I live in North Houston. I have a Shamo Rooster, 3 buff orpington hens and 1 mixed breed black hen. Recently I ordered some different chicks from mcmurray (different breeds). Got 18 of them and recently got 10 shamo chicks too. It's nice to see lots of Texans in this forum.

Quote:
BYC is THE BEST!!! All you have to do is wander around and you can't HELP but learn something and get new ideas for projects. It's a place where we are all teachers and all students.....and we all believe chickens make the world a better place!!!!
thumbsup.gif

Aren't those 'Salad Bars' the neatest idea!!!!

Back
Top Bottom