Texas

Galanie,

Hope you find someone to take your boy, sorry the neighbors have complained.
barnie.gif

Over the holiday break our dog managed to get under the fence and into the run. Thankfully all the neighborhood kids love our chickens as much as we do. They came running, banging on the door, to let us know our Sally Dog was now Sally Dog the Killer. Fortunately we only lost one of our six and my four year old daughter didn't see or know about it. While we love all our chickens, our little girl loved that one the most. She named her Fuzzy Butt and was quite distressed when we told her Fuzzy Butt went away to visit family. She replied with, "Fuzzy Butt doesn't like my house?" I almost broke down watching her nearly cry over her Fuzzy Butt not liking her house anymore.

Here we are weeks later and she still asks when Fuzzy Butt is coming back.
sad.png

Wanting to make my little girl happy again, I'm willing to do the switcharoo at this point. Evil I know, but you might crumble too if she asked you when her Fuzzy Butt was coming back. Anyone in the Crosby Texas area have a black australorp, roughly 6-8 weeks old, they'd be willing to part with?

I know she'll eventually get over it but I'm willing to pull a fast one to make her happy over this. I'm not the first dad to pull the switchoroo and I won't be the last.
big_smile.png

What a sweet idea, and you are anything but evil!!

I'm not near Crosby and I don't have anybody that young. I don't even know if I have an australorp! But here's an idea.

Could Fuzzy Butt write your daughter a letter? FB could tell her how much she misses her little friend, and that she is sorry she had to leave so early, but her mother got sick and she had to fly to (wherever--) to take care of her. But she is sending her cousin, Fuzzy Butt Too (which I bet will be shortened to Fuzzy Butt in a short time!), so that your daughter won't be lonely!

FB1 could even say that she doesn't know when she will see her little friend again, but she knows she will someday.

And that will be the absolute truth!

I think you are a lovely DAD.

--Christine aka Chicken_Girl75495

Last edited:
I'm in Texoma (north central, about 35 miles south of Oklahoma, about 45 miles north of Dallas), and we have had rain. I won't mind the snow, but it would be nice if ya'll would wait until we get the barn finished before the snow heads this way!

We are Susan's Cat Sanctuary (where we don't discriminate on basis of species) and we have 28 chickens (3 of them are roos), 10 horses, about 40 cats, 9 dogs, and 2 billy goats (Matthew and Mark), every one of them a rescued animal.

Everybody has good shelter against really nasty cold wet weather except the horses--we got six since last winter and the four stall barn we had wasn't enough. I think if I had thought a little further, I'd've realized how much that barn was going to cost, and the horses wouldn't have come. Maybe it's a good thing I didn't think it through!

The things we do for love!

We did the switcheroo when I was a teen when my little brother's turtle died during the christmas season. I ended up with a turtle in one of those chinese takeout containers at church! pretty funny. I don't think he was very fooled, but I think he appreciated the care I took for him.
Go ahead and do a switcheroo if you can, but don't do it again. The truth would have hurt her just as much, but she wouldn't have felt she wasn't loved by her hen.
The turtle thing really taught me to not try to lie about life. Sometimes bad things happen and we just have to be sad and try to fix it so it doesn't happen again.
Good luck and let us know how it's going.

Could Fuzzy Butt write your daughter a letter? FB could tell her how much she misses her little friend, and that she is sorry she had to leave so early, but her mother got sick and she had to fly to (wherever--) to take care of her. But she is sending her cousin, Fuzzy Butt Too (which I bet will be shortened to Fuzzy Butt in a short time!), so that your daughter won't be lonely!

I think that is an awesome idea and that's what I'm gonna do. I swear I nearly lose it every time she asks me when her friend Fuzzy Butt is coming home. Thank you so much for the idea.

We did the switcheroo when I was a teen when my little brother's turtle died during the christmas season. I ended up with a turtle in one of those chinese takeout containers at church! pretty funny. I don't think he was very fooled, but I think he appreciated the care I took for him.
Go ahead and do a switcheroo if you can, but don't do it again. The truth would have hurt her just as much, but she wouldn't have felt she wasn't loved by her hen.
The turtle thing really taught me to not try to lie about life. Sometimes bad things happen and we just have to be sad and try to fix it so it doesn't happen again.
Good luck and let us know how it's going.

I think she'll eventually figure it out, when she's a little older, but I'm hoping she'll understand. I'm not trying to shelter her from life and death but, the way I see it, there will be far too many opportunities for that hard lesson. I just want to postpone it bit. My 13 year old son took it hard enough and this isn't his first rodeo. Thanks for the well wishing and your thoughts.

I'm really not looking forward to the day she realizes her chicken nuggets are the same thing as her chicken friends.
hmm.png

Such is the job of being a parent though.
lol.png

really loved the 'letter' idea and the 'cousin' coming.
on the chicken nugget, front, well, I figure, there's CHICKENS and then there's chickens. Chickens you have are pets. The grocery store and food chicken are just that, just like hamburger was once Bossy out in the pasture. I think it's harder to get that when you're a city kid. Took me nearly to highschool to realize the 'calf' named for me was not the same calf every summer I visited my grandparents. It was a new one cuz the old one was the roast on the table. Man! It's just life/reality comming to smack us in the face again, like you said, we learn it eventually. But, if she asks about the nuggets, you can just tell her those are from nugget chickens, not pet chickens.
Such a good idea with the cousin! how inventive!

Back
Top Bottom