TGIF, Hello folks, I couldn't find an answer so I decided to join. I an a nervious Nelly over new ne

baconandbeer

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 25, 2014
Good evening all,

I purchased 4 Berkshire piglets a week ago tomorrow from a breeder I found on the Berkshire breeders list online. The breeder informed of the PEDV, but told me it spreads quickly and kills within 24 hours. Two of the piglets developed diarrhea by the time we arrived home. The trip was about 3 1/2 hours. The problem has not spread to the others yet ( knock on wood). The Two piglets that have the diarrhea are active, eating and drinking. The only other symptom that I am aware of is a white (sleep?) in their eyes. Their tails are curled at times and straight at times. Their feed is producers pride from TSC tractor supply. Treats have been Generic twinkies, marshmallows, hard boiled eggs from our coop, and various fruits and veggies. NO bananas. They have a constant supply of fresh water and feed at all times. They have a soccer ball, and large rubber ball sold at Walmart this time of year and 3 old tires that they love to play with. What else? Oh the two piglets that have the malady are smaller, about half the size of the other piglets. We currently have chickens and ducks if that matters. My question is this, can the diarrhea still be from stress or should I be concerned? I was thinking about trying yogurt or should I call a vet? These are meat pigs not pets if that helps. I apologize if I seem to be rambling on I am new to pigs and very nervous.

images

Welcome to BYC!

I know nothing about pigs. But they do sound fun to own. You might want to post this in our Other Livestock forums for more help with your pigs....

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/22/other-pets-livestock

We even have a sister site, BackYardHerds that you might also post in for more help...

http://www.backyardherds.com

Sorry I can't help you with your pigs. Good luck and we do welcome you to our flock!

Last edited:
thank you sooooo much. Out of 6 views you were the 1st and so far only one to reply. Being new to this site I was ignorant of the options you presented. I will certainly follow up with the links you provided. Thank you again I hope you have a Great weekend.

Thank you sooooo much. I just noticed your response and I used the link to repost the question. Thank you again and I hope you have a great weekend.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask, that is what we are here for. You have a great weekend as well!! :)

Welcome to BYC - good luck in getting the answers that you seek. Kelsie and TwoCrows are great at sending folks to the right place.

Back
Top Bottom