Thank you MississippiFarmboy! Chicken Math included UPDATE #23

KristyHall

Crowing
8 Years
Jan 27, 2011
North Alabama
First i want to say Thank you Thank you Thank you! I love the birds you gave me yesterday. I lost all of my incubating eggs in the tornado in April, then I lost half my breeding flock while I was in Iowa (One of the people taking care of my birds made a mistake and left the birds out over night to become predator snacks.)

These Orloffs are STUNNING. They are adapting quickly. I have them pinned up and will keep them penned up for a few days before I let them loose with the others.

The five chicks are too small to put with my other chicks so they have a separate pen with plenty of room to run. The pen was set up to hold 20 chicks comfortably so these little guys have plenty of space.

I sat in the coup with the new birds for an hour this morning, watching them dig through the litter, talking and clucking. I held the rooster in my lap. They make strange noises compared to my birds. They're softer.. the rooster makes this soft cooing sound. It is very soothing and I could have sat in there for ever.

So while I was out there with the birds I decided to count the birds...

With the 28 chicks, and the fifteen "older" birds you gave me and the older birds I already have....

I have 72 chickens. 72!!!!

So I had to do some serious chicken math to sooth my mind.

I am giving away my smallest hen to a family member who only has two hens and wants another.

So that is 71.

I will be selling 4 roosters in September so that makes 67.

about half of the 28 chicks will be roosters which i will have to get rid of so that makes 53.

one bid is crippled and my sister's pet so he doesn't count so that makes 52.

I will remove the smallest hens when they reach full size so that is roughly 45 birds left.

soooo by chicken math I only have 45 birds.

Phew! *wipes her forehead in relief*

OOPS! I forgot to count 20 of the 3 month old birds!

edited to add those twenty birds

Last edited:
Umm, have you located the 3 broodies that have stolen nests and are setting on a total of 33 eggs?
yippiechickie.gif
D.gif
yippiechickie.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
:bun

hide.gif
Sourland George aka 'Broody Magician'

Quote:
one of them hatched out three chicks and is in a special broody pen but two more that started sitting That makes FOUR hens on eggs! ARGH!

You are very welcome! Glad you like them.

It was very nice meeting you and Wickednerd and thank you for the brownies.
droolin.gif

Maybe next time it won't be pouring down rain and I'll have more time so we can visit more.

I never count my chickens. I would cry if I knew how many I was feeding, so I figure I'm better off just not knowing. I do know I can't miss those 20.
lau.gif
I sat down by the grow-out pen today just resting after feeding and looking at the flock. I can't think of anything more relaxing than messing with my birds. I've started culling the Orloffs and have finally got them down to only around 50 in the grow out pen, put the other 100 or so over in the cull pen to be sold or butchered. I have got to get them down to a couple dozen or less by winter, but it gets harder the deeper I cull. At first it's easy to pull out obvious flaws, but once I get down to the best looking ones it gets to be a matter of just sitting and watching them. I love it!

Oh yeah, and chicks don't count in chicken math....
tongue2.gif
So you've only got 34.

Back
Top Bottom