Thanksgiving Hatchalong

I may have a pair of pigeons hatching an egg on thanksgiving, not sure if that counts though

That counts! What are they hatching? Another pigeon......
1f60d.png

Yeah it's a pigeon (egg)
tongue.png
this pair is "newly married" and this is their first clutch of eggs so they might not hatch. But if they do then it'll be fun.

Last edited:
Count me in! Putting 19 EE (they said Ameraucana, but they're probably EEs) in the bator tonight. Hopefully we don't slide into the beginning of December!

does this count? I have 7 leghorn and 21 barred rock that have been down for 3 days, hatch date should be the 28th

Yesterday morning about 9:30 our hen abandoned her remaining eggs and took her 6 chicks into the yard. We fixed up a small doghouse for her and the babies and put the food and water just outside. She had two peeping eggs, one externally pipped that she abandoned. I put her eggs in a box on a heating pad, wrapped loosely in a dish towel and brought them to work with us so I could keep an eye on them. I couldn't just let them die and we have no incubator. When I picked my daughter up from school at 2pm I brought the eggs with me as one of them was hatching, to see if she'd come back to the nest and sit on them. We got home and she was freaked out, hiding behind our great pyrenees. She had one baby left. 5 gone without a trace. We brought her back in the garage with her first hatched baby, the only one to survive. One of her abandoned eggs had hatched in the car on the way home. We gave her the eggs back and the new baby and she has immediately gone full on broody again. The other peeping egg hatched last night. So she is back to 3 babies and she hasn't pooped since yesterday so she's back at sitting on her eggs. We are going to let her have the babies for a few days then we are going to take them and raise them in the bathroom like we do with all our other chicks that didn't have a mama to raise them. Last night my husband slipped some pure silkie eggs underneath her so hopefully we can ensure they are laying fertile eggs. I honestly think we will end up putting her in a broody cage to break her from being broody. She's going on 4 weeks broody right now. I'm going to get an incubator because if the silkie eggs are fertile their hatch date will be December 1st. I don't want her broody that long. She had started pooping normally and leaving the nest more often the past couple of days. Since we put her back in the garage yesterday she hasn't pooped. She's letting her oldest chick go eat and drink by himself while she sits on the eggs and new babies. Poor mama hen. I feel awful about her chicks. We've had chicks as young as 2-3 weeks with no mama out in our backyard. If I had known she would lose them all I would have just refused to let her leave the garage.

Yesterday morning about 9:30 our hen abandoned her remaining eggs and took her 6 chicks into the yard. We fixed up a small doghouse for her and the babies and put the food and water just outside. She had two peeping eggs, one externally pipped that she abandoned. I put her eggs in a box on a heating pad, wrapped loosely in a dish towel and brought them to work with us so I could keep an eye on them. I couldn't just let them die and we have no incubator. When I picked my daughter up from school at 2pm I brought the eggs with me as one of them was hatching, to see if she'd come back to the nest and sit on them. We got home and she was freaked out, hiding behind our great pyrenees. She had one baby left. 5 gone without a trace. We brought her back in the garage with her first hatched baby, the only one to survive. One of her abandoned eggs had hatched in the car on the way home. We gave her the eggs back and the new baby and she has immediately gone full on broody again. The other peeping egg hatched last night. So she is back to 3 babies and she hasn't pooped since yesterday so she's back at sitting on her eggs. We are going to let her have the babies for a few days then we are going to take them and raise them in the bathroom like we do with all our other chicks that didn't have a mama to raise them. Last night my husband slipped some pure silkie eggs underneath her so hopefully we can ensure they are laying fertile eggs. I honestly think we will end up putting her in a broody cage to break her from being broody. She's going on 4 weeks broody right now. I'm going to get an incubator because if the silkie eggs are fertile their hatch date will be December 1st. I don't want her broody that long. She had started pooping normally and leaving the nest more often the past couple of days. Since we put her back in the garage yesterday she hasn't pooped. She's letting her oldest chick go eat and drink by himself while she sits on the eggs and new babies. Poor mama hen. I feel awful about her chicks. We've had chicks as young as 2-3 weeks with no mama out in our backyard. If I had known she would lose them all I would have just refused to let her leave the garage.

How sad :( I'm so sorrry.

Oh no! Sorry about the babies.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom