Thanksgiving Hatchalong

day 21, think this is the hardest day, you gotta be patient, see a pip this morning and heard a big crack so one obviously pipped on underneath side. Hopefully will have good news by tonight and pics to show you all

hit.gif
Well, It would seem that tragedy has struck my olive and blue eggs. Original set was three olive and three blue eggs. I candled Tuesday night. Couldn't see anything but solid shadow in the olive eggs. So, they went in the hatcher. One of the blue eggs was a late quitter. (Underdeveloped with slight veining) It was tossed earlier today when candled again and no veins were present. Two of the blue eggs were right on schedule. So, they went in the hatcher.

So far so good, right? 5/6 eggs still in progress. That is what I thought, but it was no to last.

Hatching seems to take forever, and we went to visit family for 1.5 days; all day Thursday and part of Friday. Just got back this afternoon to a devastating scene. Well, the cats have struck back against the baby chicken invasion. The hatcher was knocked to the ground and the light (heat source) was broken. One of the olive eggs was smashed open (membrane still intact). All the eggs were cold and the hatcher temp down to 74*F. I don't know how long they spent in the cold, but I candled and noticed active chicks in the blue eggs and the smashed olive egg has a noticeably active chick still kicking. Can't see anything in the two remaining olive eggs, just too dark. The eggs were slipped back into the main incubator along the side that doesn't have a turning tray, until the hatcher can be fixed. I am hoping for the best, but preparing for the worst.

It may be a complete loss for this hatch(still waiting to see if any will survive), but the chickens have countered this devastation by being exceptionally productive over the past two days. I collected 22 eggs from the girls(15 layers) this afternoon. One was tossed because of a bad chip/crack in the side. Of the 21 good eggs 15 were selected for hatching (due to hatch Dec. 18).

I've got my fingers crossed for you.
fl.gif

Thank you. I hope so too. I will probably give them ​until Sunday or Monday. They were due today, so Monday would be 24 days into the hatch. Any that hatch after that will be considerably weaker with little chance of surviving until adulthood. I had a similar temp fluctuation happen (different circumstances) a while back with a different incubator. About half the eggs hatched with one hatching day 25. Day 25 chick lasted about 48 hours and the rest only survived the first couple weeks. Hoping that doesn't happen this time. I was really wanting those olive chicks.

Any updates today?

Hi there, I have a broody that is on day 21 and I saw a pip and heard chirping this morning
ep.gif

I wasn't sure how she was going to do because it was her first hatch but, now I am excited and just can't wait any longer to go check on her again.
barnie.gif

She is a silkie on her own eggs.

gl Jchicken, this is I think the hardest part of the hatch, son looked at me funny when told him to go get me a case of suberglue so I wouldn't keep looking in the window to see how things are progressing. so hard to have patience when you know your almost to the finish line. The one that pipped this morning is finally starting to enlarge it to unzip

crossing fingers for your chicks wornout.

YES!!
celebrate.gif
WOOHOO!!!!
celebrate.gif
YAY!!!

I have great news! There is a hatchling! One of the blue egg chicks hatched out just a few minutes ago and the other blue egg is pipped. Also, the smashed olive egg chick is still alive! It is touch and go as the little one is shrink wrapped and can't turn, but I am keeping a close watch on it. The "internal" pip is open and the chick is taking its first breaths. The veins are still quite prominent, so the chick is still waiting to be released. Nothing to report on the last two olive eggs.

(I'll post a picture once the hatchling fluffs out)

Last edited:
YES!!
celebrate.gif
WOOHOO!!!!
celebrate.gif
YAY!!!

I have great news! There is a hatchling! One of the blue egg chicks hatched out just a few minutes ago and the other blue egg is pipped. Also, the smashed olive egg chick is still alive! It is touch and go as the little one is shrink wrapped and can't turn, but I am keeping a close watch on it. The "internal" pip is open and the chick is taking its first breaths. The veins are still quite prominent, so the chick is still waiting to be released. Nothing to report on the last two olive eggs.

(I'll post a picture once the hatchling fluffs out)
Congrats can't wait to see these little ninja chicks that overcame what they did, makes my waiting all the harder though now have a second pip

My polish eggs decided to make an early entrance. One pip'd in the turner, so I put them in the incubator with the Brahmas that were hatching. Two have hatched already!

I had 5/6 make it! Last one wasn't quite "right" I don't think. It was malpositioned and had very short stubby toes, it just slowly quit breathing. I still feel like I did very well for my second time:) congrats to everyone!

Grats on hatch there Iamboeder and chonsey

one is making progress after pipping but the first one to pip isn't making any getting nervous, my 3 week old chick is calling to them though as she can hear em in the bator, she escaped and was trying to peck her way into the brooder lol

how long before I should help? the first one that pipped this morning she's getting the shell knocked off and can see a good section of membrane where she's knocked several pieces of shell off that is a dry white? it has been almost 12 hours and she has not broken through other than some shell off but not through the membrane.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom