That's to bad

Steven Bussell

Songster
May 5, 2019
Bay Area Calif
I went to a local feed store because they are a ma and paps shop .And its 10 minutes from my house.
I was hoping to use them for supplying my flock with food and supplies. My ducklings and chicks are only 4 weeks old. I bought all my feeders and starting supplies fromTSC while I was picking up coop builting materials.
Unfortunately when I asked about all flock food I was tolded to just feed my ducks any chicken food.
I have plenty of time but I asked what she thought about giving oyster shells.
I was told it was a waste of money. I asked if they carried it. Nope!!!
To bad. I don't mind spending a little more money supporting small businesses.
I can only imagine next month when they start selling chicks and ducklings how much bad advice will be given.
I don't mind driving a little farther to find a good hole in the wall feed store. Just to bad its not in my city .

That is too bad, when a local feed store could be such an important source of information, but chooses to not educate the workers there. At my local farm store, I haven't noticed willful ignorance, but they sure need a person to clean those cages! Whew! (Maybe that is willful ignorance)

Your not kidding about ignorance at feed store, private or chain. I remember going out of my way to stop by a local non chain independent feed store. I told them I wanted to purchase three of their white leghorns. The man inquired if I wanted them for meat or eggs.

"Eggs" I replied.

"oh then you don't want these, Leghorns are strictly a heavy meat bird" he said.

"You sure your not thinking of Cornish cross broilers?" I said.

"Never heard of those, but I guaranty these Leghorns are commercial meat birds." he said.

"Well sir, if your sure they are leghorns, then yes, I would like three please."

"Alright" he said, "can I interest you in a starter ration? I recommend you stay away from chick starter and use 30% turkey starter, you wouldn't believe how fast they grow on this stuff!"

"No thanks, I have some 20% starter on hand that will work just fine."

:eek::eek::eek:

Your not kidding about ignorance at feed store, private or chain. I remember going out of my way to stop by a local non chain independent feed store. I told them I wanted to purchase three of their white leghorns. The man inquired if I wanted them for meat or eggs.

"Eggs" I replied.

"oh then you don't want these, Leghorns are strictly a heavy meat bird" he said.

"You sure your not thinking of Cornish cross broilers?" I said.

"Never heard of those, but I guaranty these Leghorns are commercial meat birds." he said.

"Well sir, if your sure they are leghorns, then yes, I would like three please."

"Alright" he said, "can I interest you in a starter ration? I recommend you stay away from chick starter and use 30% turkey starter, you wouldn't believe how fast they grow on this stuff!"

"No thanks, I have some 20% starter on hand that will work just fine."

:eek::eek::eek:

Its sad....
Because the birds pay for the bad advice

Back
Top Bottom