The “right” feeder.

Trying to find a feeder that will make the chickens spill less. I currently have the one we’re they stick their heads in to eat. Suppose to be a no mess feeder, but they scratch it out of there and it ends up on the ground. I’m looking at these two to see if they might be a better alternative. Any suggestions Would be great!
I'm having the same problem. I didn't notice as much of an issue with the no spill ports last year but my lord what a waste! The ports are closed every night and the run is netted so outside birds don't get in the run. It's been raining so much here and the pecked out food gets nasty, buckets dirty and I'm cleaning up spilled food almost daily. I've got chickens and ducks that use these feeders with a greenhouse top over them to hopefully protect from rain. It works over the bucket but not on the ground. I do not feed/ water in the coop, only the run. I don't like the trough type of feeders because they seem to be even messier and I want to keep rodents away as well. What's the best feeder?

Attachments

• 20230703_165320.jpg
    20230703_165320.jpg
    1,002.6 KB · Views: 13
I'm having the same problem. I didn't notice as much of an issue with the no spill ports last year but my lord what a waste! The ports are closed every night and the run is netted so outside birds don't get in the run. It's been raining so much here and the pecked out food gets nasty, buckets dirty and I'm cleaning up spilled food almost daily. I've got chickens and ducks that use these feeders with a greenhouse top over them to hopefully protect from rain. It works over the bucket but not on the ground. I do not feed/ water in the coop, only the run. I don't like the trough type of feeders because they seem to be even messier and I want to keep rodents away as well. What's the best feeder?
I’m trying the blue one on legs. The ports just aren’t working for me but it did help when I elevated them a bit.

I have this one at the recommendation of the fine folks on here and it works great....has a lip on it so they can't get it out. Hangs up to keep other critters out.
I saw this feeder in a store but it didn't have a lid, it was open on top. Does this have a lid? If not, any problems with no lid? Just curious. Thanks in advance.

I saw this feeder in a store but it didn't have a lid, it was open on top. Does this have a lid? If not, any problems with no lid? Just curious. Thanks in advance.
It does not have a lid....the only problem I had was one of my birds figured out how to get into the feeder and have a picnic. I doubt she could do that now with her being older, I solved the problem by taking a plastic lid and cut a hole in it for the chain to go through. It's still working great! Only issue I have found is DO NOT sit it on the ground because they will scratch stuff into it easily....it must be hung up. I sometimes put mine in the coop when it's raining to keep moisture out of it and they fill it up with shavings in a matter of a few minutes. Ugh

I must add to this. I too am looking for a good feeder option. Unlike you however I do not wish to have more feed in the pen than they can eat at one time. Here are my requirements which have never been met that I know of.

No spilling or waste, don't have to be waterproof but easy to clean. Must be able to "load" the feeder from outside the run but also be spread out in the run. The feeder must spread the feed in multiple areas or in a long row or be able to fill 5-6 feeders from one access point.

The tall pvc pipe that stands up is almost perfect other than the fact that I would have to build and fill 5-6 tubes with a cup or so of feed each. They can't roost on it and fill their food with poop which is a plus.

A pvc pipe cut in half and laid down like a trough would almost work but I don't see a way to spread it out over the length without being inside the run.

The hanging feeder works but not for me as I would have to enter the pen to fill and I see them spilling a lot.

The perfect thing would be to fill a pvc pipe with required feed (5-6 cups), have it fall down to a conveyor belt which then drags the feed however long the conveyor is. I'll come up with something that's going to change the chicken feeding world just wait. :)

I'm trying to avoid filling up a feeder due to rats, birds and such. I'm trying to get out of entering the run every single morning and evening. I'll be in the coop gathering eggs, inspecting the poop tray, and doing maintenance as needed but would love to cut down on the effort required to feed.

Back
Top Bottom