The “right” feeder.

-Chanticleer-

Crowing
May 18, 2023
Texas
My Coop
My Coop
Trying to find a feeder that will make the chickens spill less. I currently have the one we’re they stick their heads in to eat. Suppose to be a no mess feeder, but they scratch it out of there and it ends up on the ground. I’m looking at these two to see if they might be a better alternative. Any suggestions Would be great!

Attachments

• 1ED1D825-56A3-4395-A935-0F53FEFD22CA.jpeg
    1ED1D825-56A3-4395-A935-0F53FEFD22CA.jpeg
    104.3 KB · Views: 163
Hi there! I do use a port feeder as my main feeder, although they do spill a little bit, I find it is not nearly as bad as it was scratching at the ground feeders with their feet.
Plus the food doesn't get wet when it rains:
1687291363012.png

I replied on the other thread too. I have the blue feeder and like it. The chickens do not bill out or spill the feed. I also have a Ratproof feeder and like it too. I had one of the "port" feeders. Like you, I thought it allowed the chickens to make a mess.
I got the port feeder thinking it would keep the rain out and keep the food inside the feeder. It’s just as messy as the feeder with a hole in the top. I think I’ll try the blue one. Thanks for the feedback👌

I got the port feeder thinking it would keep the rain out and keep the food inside the feeder. It’s just as messy as the feeder with a hole in the top. I think I’ll try the blue one. Thanks for the feedback👌
I picked mine up while at Tractor Supply. After looking on line at the Chicken feeder, I realized mine was missing the legs and lid. I don't miss the legs, but the lid would be nice. Anyway, if you get it, make sure it has the parts 😀.

I have this one at the recommendation of the fine folks on here and it works great....has a lip on it so they can't get it out. Hangs up to keep other critters out.
I
I picked mine up while at Tractor Supply. After looking on line at the Chicken feeder, I realized mine was missing the legs and lid. I don't miss the legs, but the lid would be nice. Anyway, if you get it, make sure it has the parts 😀.
definitely because I need the lid

There are port feeders, and there are port feeders. The ones we made ourselves work great-- no spill, keeps feed dry. The pre-made ones we purchased on Amazon don't work the same-- feed spills. So just fair warning that not all port feeders are the same.

There are port feeders, and there are port feeders. The ones we made ourselves work great-- no spill, keeps feed dry. The pre-made ones we purchased on Amazon don't work the same-- feed spills. So just fair warning that not all port feeders are the same.
Do you have a picture of the ones you made?

Back
Top Bottom