The 6th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry. This hatch has been bad for me too. :hugs
So sorry to both you and nate1the1great1. I feel for you both, so hugs to you.
:( gutted. Somebody knocked over my incubator (which was on a backwards facing chair out of the way and kids only allowed in supervised) all four of the eggs in lockdown smashed. Only one had been viable but was dead, it's yolk was still up absorbed and one of it's blood vessels had ruptured in the fall. I was really hoping that one little salmon favorelle would make it. Luckily I have some three week old chickies here to console myself and a friend has four one day olds I can get Monday. But it's not the same as hatching your own. Bator went in the bin as the yolk from two of the undeveloped maybe eggs had gone into the motor and it was making noises. Expensive painful learning process.
1f61e.png
1f423.png
rip sweeties.
Oh no! So sorry :(
Athena is right on time with her hatch too!
She is very cute!
FINALLY!!! I have a chick!! I have a chick!! :celebrate :weee An adorable little Delaware! Still only two other pips, but I'm a little more hopeful now. I'm praying I get more chickies! :fl
Hoorayyyy!
Don't know what has happened to my chicks. I set 41 eggs and set the a day early so they would start hatching yesterday. Today is day 22. I have no pips and hear no peeps. I am worried but do not know what could have happened.
I hope they are okay and just late for you.

I finally have a pip! I wish I could be more excited, but this pip is on an egg I set Sunday. Still absolutely nothing from my Saturday eggs. What the heck? I'm sure I killed them. All except that one I guess. :(

Depending on the breed, they could be lazy hatchers.

Keep the faith!! My first one out is active & eating and making all kinds of noise, which has seemed to inspire the rest to pick up the pace. So far, out of 7, 1 out, 1 close to out, 1 pipped & 2 more shaking. Pretty excited, as it's our first try. I was just notified my aunt passed away this morning. She was 92 and one of my fondest memories was seeing her baby chicks. She was a 1st grade teacher & hatched chicks each spring form"her kids". So our first little chick is named Alice.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Thank you so much!! I know you aren't suppose to open the incubator, but my humidity is up to 89%. Is that ok or do I need to try and fix that?

I do it anyways. Or i put dry rice in though a hole. I just opened my bator to add water bc my humidity was LOW at 50! Im not sure if i have a chick shrink wrapped or not...

If your humidity is too high, you can open it to let humidity out.

Wondering if my fellow BYC'ers will do me a favor in between checking for hatchlings, pipers and zippers and posting their progresses on here. That would be wishing my mother-in-law a warm welcome. She finally convinced her husband to build her a coop and she is leaving my house with chickens to start her flock. Her avitar is the coop he built for her, it's pretty awesome. Her username is [COLOR=0000FF]Nanachicks. [/COLOR]
[COLOR=000000]Thank you'all in advance![/COLOR]
[COLOR=000000]Jesse[/COLOR]

Welcome nanachicks!

Ok, I have an egg that pipped about 18 hrs ago and then made the whole bigger 6 hrs ago. 2 hrs ago, it seemed like it had started zipping but nothing is happening. It cheeps, responds to knocks on the incubator but not making any effort to zip. At what point shall I help?

What color is the membrane?

I am assisting a wrong end piper, I barely know what to do...chipped away more shell from the egg but I couldn't find the beak. I think it change positions again. Every hour I should wet the membrane with warm water and a q tip right?
Ugh, this was my only Lavender Ameraucana that was showing signs of life :barnie

I've had wrong way pippers hatch on their own. Give it some time.
Raz: awesome hatch.
My wife's father passed away yesterday. She saw some of @draye pics of our grandchicks and smiled big. She loves our flocks.
Could you please pm her some pics of her grandchicks to @1kluckychik

I'm sorry for your loss.

:( gutted. Somebody knocked over my incubator (which was on a backwards facing chair out of the way and kids only allowed in supervised) all four of the eggs in lockdown smashed. Only one had been viable but was dead, it's yolk was still up absorbed and one of it's blood vessels had ruptured in the fall.
I was really hoping that one little salmon favorelle would make it.
Luckily I have some three week old chickies here to console myself and a friend has four one day olds I can get Monday. But it's not the same as hatching your own.
Bator went in the bin as the yolk from two of the undeveloped maybe eggs had gone into the motor and it was making noises.
Expensive painful learning process.
1f61e.png
1f423.png
rip sweeties.

I'm sorry.

Don't know what has happened to my chicks.  I set 41 eggs and set the a day early so they would start hatching yesterday.  Today is day 22.  I have no pips and hear no peeps.  I am worried but do not know what could have happened.

They will hatch late if your temps are too low.

What am I suppose to do when an egg pips from the bottom? Sent they always suppose to pip from the top??

FINALLY!!! I have a chick!! I have a chick!!
celebrate.gif
wee.gif

An adorable little Delaware! Still only two other pips, but I'm a little more hopeful now. I'm praying I get more chickies!
fl.gif
Yay =)

So out of 35 eggs
4 were infertile or died before lockdown
20 hatched
4 pipped (still waiting on them)
3 unpipped(so far)
This is NOT the final count!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ha ha it is amazing how well this method is to see if you set the correct eggs(all were australorps except for one mutt which wasn't supposed to be there) LOL

Home to two more chicks and a solid zip-in-progress! The Norwegian Jaerhon is the zipper, and considering I thought it might have been smothered due to an egg shell covering it's pip I'm happy it's still kicking! They usually pop out first tho', so that's a little strange. Nothing from my two EE eggs, and I was pretty sure there was movement in at least one at lockdown but... might be something in the morning. Got an Australorp and some kind of gold chick - maybe Buff Orphington X. That's the only thing I can think of in my flock that would be that color! Pretty little thing tho'! Of the first 4 moved to the brooder, one is a silky cross who is all black. My lone silky hen was killed by a predator not too long ago so I'm glad to have this chick! Tho' she was white with black skin, and the chick is black with black skin. Thinking Silky/EE cross.

Pics in the morning when everyone is fluffed out! Hope the Jaer hatches okay, the two drying in the bator with it are rolling it all over poor thing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom