The 6th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did not get a picture of the Easter hatch chicks but I did get one of the hatch that finished last night. They are white bresse--

Ron they are sooooo pretty!

I just watched the video of Happy Chooks 1 day old crowing, wow that is amazing!

I have a two week old turkey poult that I have in a play pen with some two week old chicks and a one month old turkey poult. And I have 1 poult left from the eggs I had to through out last week to hatch today. Well I did not want to set up another brooder for one poult so I tried putting it in with the others. And low and behold the two week old poult did a full on strut! Wings dragging to it's sides and it's tail up and fanned out and it's chest puffed out! I said whoa boy, you get a blue leg band and I put the baby in a basket with the others so they can all get used to it.

Some Icelandic Easter Hatchlings.....
@KYTinpusher
Here is the chick from Cupcake and Audun...front left:

on the left looking at "Mom"....
Adorable!
love.gif

Ron they are sooooo pretty!

I just watched the video of Happy Chooks 1 day old crowing, wow that is amazing!

I have a two week old turkey poult that I have in a play pen with some two week old chicks and a one month old turkey poult. And I have 1 poult left from the eggs I had to through out last week to hatch today. Well I did not want to set up another brooder for one poult so I tried putting it in with the others. And low and behold the two week old poult did a full on strut! Wings dragging to it's sides and it's tail up and fanned out and it's chest puffed out! I said whoa boy, you get a blue leg band and I put the baby in a basket with the others so they can all get used to it.
That is amazing!

Turkeys are cute when they are little. Do you have problems with blackhead?

The White Bresse are nice. I have one rooster and 4 hens in a pen with the egg farmers rooster and 2 hens. So the pen has 2 roosters and 6 hens. I will be hatching a lot of Bresse this year!

Last edited:
Quote: I don't. I thought maybe the misquitos. We are going to cut the grass and spray this weekend but all the rain is not helping much.
I saw someone say they had got some that were not so great and were very unhappy about them. I cannot recall what thread. You talked to them about them. :)
I just had to cut back on my birds and chores so I gave away my Buckeye and Chanteclers.

one of my chicks had pasty butt and i got it off but now his butt hole is swollen....has anyone had this happen?
and i also had one of my sizzle chicks pass today. i hope it wasnt sick or theres a problem with my chicks...of course now im paranoid
hu.gif
Gently squeeze the butt hole to see if there is a proper vent. I have one that kept upon getting pasty, when I looked closely, there was no proper vent, only a tiny hole. I gave him to some-one to put it down, but they have decided they will care for him for a week in hopes that he will grow a proper vent. I highly doubt it.

one of my chicks had pasty butt and i got it off but now his butt hole is swollen....has anyone had this happen?
and i also had one of my sizzle chicks pass today. i hope it wasnt sick or theres a problem with my chicks...of course now im paranoid
hu.gif

If you pulled the dry poo from the bum, you probably irritated that area. It can swell for a while. Try using Neosporin on it for a couple of days. Next time, if it's really stuck, wash the bottom, feels better for the chick too, no pulling of feathers.

I couldn't resist putting an egg in the incubator 5 days after I started the Easter hatch. It was just too beautiful. Well, today/night/morning at 3am my spouse woke me up saying it had hatched! It was another sticky chick, but at least this one managed to get out of his shell before getting glued. We thought he was acting funny so we opened the incubator and sure enough he was super glued to the floor.
idunno.gif
After peeling him off the floor towel (lots of warm water again!) we gave him a warm gentle shower in the sink to get the membrane that was fusing it's wing and leg together off. My spouse got the hair dryer out and toasted him up while I changed out the towel in the incubator to a clean one. He is now very happy and sleeping in the bator.

Can I put him in the brooder with his siblings once he fluffs up? They are almost 7 days old now.

I couldn't resist putting an egg in the incubator 5 days after I started the Easter hatch. It was just too beautiful. Well, today/night/morning at 3am my spouse woke me up saying it had hatched! It was another sticky chick, but at least this one managed to get out of his shell before getting glued. We thought he was acting funny so we opened the incubator and sure enough he was super glued to the floor.
idunno.gif
After peeling him off the floor towel (lots of warm water again!) we gave him a warm gentle shower in the sink to get the membrane that was fusing it's wing and leg together off. My spouse got the hair dryer out and toasted him up while I changed out the towel in the incubator to a clean one. He is now very happy and sleeping in the bator.

Can I put him in the brooder with his siblings once he fluffs up? They are almost 7 days old now.

Poor little chick. Glad he is doing ok.

I would give him a couple days to get some strength in those legs then he should be fine in the brooder with the other chicks. I had a chick hatch very late, day 25. I let him spend some extra time fluffing out and getting strong. It was a rather weak chick. Now it is running around the chicken run with a broody hen and several other chicks from this hatch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom