The 7th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-A-Long!

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by Happy Chooks, Jan 20, 2016.

1. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    [​IMG]

2. jwlpoultry

jwlpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2015

3. GitaBooks

GitaBooks Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jun 23, 2015
    USA

Thanks. [​IMG] She has the red-pyle coloration, like her great-grandmother. Now she has chicks. It's weird to think its only been two or three years that I've had Pip and she is already a great-great grandmother.

Me too. I'm still getting the hang of it, but I guess that's part of the fun. [​IMG]

4. wicket 07

wicket 07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2014
    Mississippi

Thanks I'm new this year so just making sure I umade it on the list if their was one.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2016
  5. Wickedchicken6

Wickedchicken6 No Rest For The WicKed Premium Member

Nov 7, 2015
    Southwestern MB, Canada
    I am so sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

Take all the time you need. Please know that we are always here when you are ready. [​IMG]

6. NTBugtraq

NTBugtraq ex-Surgeon General

I am committed now, and with [​IMG] hope I have not made a catastrophic mistake. 25 chicks are in the greenhouse under the brooder plates. They are less than 20 hours old, but were completely dry when I put them out. Its 23F atm, and the forecast says it will get warmer overnight (not dramatically, but at least warmer). I can see nothing but the plates, my brooder walls are higher than the plates so I cannot check what's happening under them without removing the plates. That seems counter productive, so I will do that only once a day at mid-day. I put a thermometer on top of the water bottle which is ~8" above the bedding, and it is reading 43F, so that's a good sign.

But since this is my first time brooding outdoors in winter, I am very worried I have condemned them. Like me, keep my chicks in your thoughts tonight. This is the closest thing to a real broody I could do, and more importantly, if these chicks thrive it means I have genetics that can withstand my climate, part of my breeding goal...but I don't want to be the cause of the demise of such pretty chicks either...

Right now I kinda feel like Washington at Valley Forge..."if I could do anything else, I would"

7. NTBugtraq

NTBugtraq ex-Surgeon General

No amount of time can remove bad memories, and for that we must suffer, but extending those bad memories to things that cause you joy only lets the bad memory be worse. Nobody wants to forget an event such as you experienced, how could you, but it’s the support of others that help you carry on, grieve, and finally recover as best you can. There is no way that hatching chickens can ever compare to being pregnant, but disassociating your bad memory from a joyful event is a step forward.

8. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    They will be fine. The Premier1 plates are rated for down to freezing--and that is likely only for the water freezing. The chicks will push up into the heater plate to warm up. Within in a day or so, they will be out from under the brooder most of the time.

I have 32 and am using the premier plate for 20. They are in the garage where it is down into the 40s at night and a bunch of them sleep out from under it already--they will be 4 weeks old this weekend! I will likely take the plate out soon.

Lift the plates out a couple of times a day for a health check--look for pasty butt and etc.

Keep us updated but you will be very happy with the way they develop.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2016
    2 people like this.
  9. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    [​IMG] Welcome ToddQ! breeds to hatch?

welcome Patricia!! [​IMG] what do you plan on hatching?

welcome! you will enjoy it! [​IMG]

true story!! [​IMG] Welcome! what kind are you gonna look for?

10. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

What temperature is it inside the greenhouse, but not under the plates? All I can offer is try it and check on the OFTEN. (like every couple of hours) Check for pasty butt too. If they are cheeping loudly, they are too cold. If they have pasty butt, they are chilled too much.

I brood in this coop, it's very small and holds heat well. I use Ecoglow's for my heat source with a 75 watt white bulb for light. (no windows in coop) There were day old chicks in here when this was taken:
    [​IMG]

I cannot even fathom your pain. I am so very sorry for your loss. We are here for you, whether you hatch or not. [​IMG]X a billion!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by