The 7th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-A-Long!

I have the same thing going on. They just don't seem to feel well. My guys are about 8 weeks old, but have been on the ground since birth. They are lethargic with watery poop, no blood. They are eating, but not like they have been. They are on medicated feed, but they are puffed up like I've seen others who had coccidia. I am thinking this may be respiratory. I heard a couple of sneezes so started septra 4 days ago. This morning they looked bad. Fluffed up, one was drooling, eyes shut. I made an emergency run to TSC (blew off work) and was planning on giving them something...not quite sure what. Bought Tylan, have fish mox, got some chlortotracycline medicated feed too. I thought they may be past hope. Got home and they are running around again. Right or wrong, I didn't use the tylan or fish mox, but am trying the chlortetracycline feed. I mixed it up with scrambled eggs and organic yogurt. They felt good enough to eat. Tonight, everybody got VetRX and I'm continuing the sulfa. This is a mystery. Usually respiratory problems have more symptoms like runny nose or wheezing. IDK. What am I missing? Vitamin deficiency due to medicated feed their entire lives?? I would appreciate any thoughts on this.

Hmm maybe try a vitimin powder in their water , usually when i think my chickens have any type of respiratory issues or cold i just add some apple cidar vinegar in their water too , idk if that will help ur little guys out or not but wouldn't hurt them to try

Hey all so this isn't related to hatching hope you all don't mind but I wanted to bring my question to some of the most helpful people I know.

I have a pullet that is acting odd/under the weather. She is coming on five months and I'm worried about her with the way she is acting today. Her name is Jasmine, and she is 50% black orp(25% English) her Mommy was a white mix that laid pink eggs daily. I think she has some leghorn in her but her comb seems to be a peacomb like Mom. She was given to me by another BYCER and was part of the group of 6 chicks I lost half to cocci at 7 weeks. They were treated and the other three survived.

She has her head tucked in, feathers ruffled, tail down, she also shakes her head periodically. Her crop is full but pliable she did eat a bit of fried egg I gave her. There is no rotten or off smell from her mouth. Mostly she's just lethargic and did not leave the coop today. Her vent is clean and appears normal. She doesn't seem to have any lice or mites, although I'm not sure what it would really look like, but no bugs dark dander or nits. And both of her sisters that are orps are fine. Her eyes are bright and there is no discharge from her nostrils.

Should I worry about an impacted crop? Could she have cocci again? Please help I'm a very worried Momma and I already feel like I failed with these wonderful chicks I was given. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I had a lethargic chick once and it was recommended that I put a shot of Apple cider vinegar in their water (ACV with mother) we did that for 3-4 days and all my chicks seemed to do better afterwards. Could just be coincidence

I use wazine, becuase it was recommended by the old timers, on the other hand I use pumpkin as a natural de wormer in the fall, so that's a plus.
X2 on the pumpkin and they love it! I just busted a couple in half and let them have em. They love picking the seeds and when they were done there was nothing but a thin skin remaining, and that went to the compost pile in my garden.

X2 on the pumpkin and they love it! I just busted a couple in half and let them have em. They love picking the seeds and when they were done there was nothing but a thin skin remaining, and that went to the compost pile in my garden.

I got the seeds this year from some specialty pumpkin kinds, like red, blue, warty, and others... I grew a 80lb one the first year, and this year nothing, so next year I will be putting out about 500 plants, 200 pumpkin and 300 sunflower, and of course strawberries, raspberries, grapes, mint, and of course blueberries!!! I love my gardening... But ya I heard you can eat the eggs after deworming, but I wonder what effects it does with incubating the eggs.
1f914.png

No word yet on my missing box of chicken eggs - still MIA, but my quail eggs DID arrived today, on time and perfect.
bun.gif
big_smile.png

I'm glad you got your quail eggs!
thumbsup.gif

Maybe they'll deliver the box of chickens and it will be full of freshly hatched, healthy little chicks. (one can always dream, right? Lol)
big_smile.png

I am planning on participating in this hatch! Not sure of my exact hatch planned yet, will post again when I decide. Almost certainly some Chocolate Orpington eggs, though.

Welcome! So glad you could join!

Chocolate orpingtons sound awesome! Some day I want some of the rarer colors of orpingtons too.

Back
Top Bottom