The 8th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!!!!

Final count for me is 15 hatched. 5 Porcelain D'Uccle, 2 Mille Fleur D'Uccle and 8 Sebrights. All shipped eggs. NONE of my eggs were fertile, so the rooster wasn't playing with the hens before I got rid of him.

Hmm... we have and issue. Our first egg pipped on day 20, yesterday morning. It is now the afternoon of day 21 and the pip is at the wrong end. The chick is making a lot of noise and slowly starting to zip its way around. I don't know what to do. We have 5 other eggs that have pipped, none of them have started to zip. Should we help the backwards one? I can see its beak through the zipped spots.

Hmm... we have and issue. Our first egg pipped on day 20, yesterday morning. It is now the afternoon of day 21 and the pip is at the wrong end. The chick is making a lot of noise and slowly starting to zip its way around. I don't know what to do. We have 5 other eggs that have pipped, none of them have started to zip. Should we help the backwards one? I can see its beak through the zipped spots.

Its making progress, leave it. Thats my take atleast.

Im having the same thing with duck eggs. Day 28 hatch day is today. First one pipped wrong end evening of day 26. The rest started pipping evening of day 27. 2 more are wrong end. Im tempted to help the first one but dont want to loose the rest from opening it.

Its making progress, leave it. Thats my take atleast.

Im having the same thing with duck eggs. Day 28 hatch day is today. First one pipped wrong end evening of day 26. The rest started pipping evening of day 27. 2 more are wrong end. Im tempted to help the first one but dont want to loose the rest from opening it.

As I posted earlier, I had 2 eggs that weren't progressing after 90 min plus zipping. I did it as fast as possible. But later, I had to help 2 of the last 3 that hatched because they were shrink wrapped.

Last edited:
I had to remove two dead chicks a little bit ago, so while I was in there I snatched out all of the hatchlings and popped them in the brooder. Then I quickly cleaned out most of the shells. Two were stuck so I tried to assist them but I hit veins. I put them back in quick, put some warm water in the receptacles and closed the incubator. Hope I didn't screw things up too bad. Temp is still at 99.5 and humidity is almost 70.

ok, all mine have hatched, the double yolker died before internal pip. but my 2 shipped eggs with the really bad air cells hatched!!! They are game bantams, Black breasted reds, so that is great, the eggs that were ice cold have hatched except 2 they are still alive and not quite as far along so they are still in the bator, These were not counted in my HAL count, the broody mom outside her chicks have started to hatch, and 2 babies from the cochin moms that are sharing ownership one was looking weak and one mom really did hatch and it's hers, she pecked a sore in it's back and that one has come inside too so having said all that family pics, and the babies are in temporary digs.

I had a terrible hatch. I forgot that I replaced the circuit board on my incubator last year and hadn't calibrated it yet, so the only chicks that hatched healthy were the ones in the tiny incubator, so
7 Ayam Cemani, and 1 modern game bantam
the only eggs to hatch from the big incubator was a polish chick that keeps flipping onto his back, (poly-vi sol given, and supported in a cup) I still have one black copper marans that is somehow alive but not pipped yet, so fingers crossed he makes it too. I put my kitchen thermometer in the incubator and it read 103.6 so I have no idea how ANY of them hatched. pretty bummed, but at least now I can correct it.
tentative total hatch is 10, but currently only 9

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom