The 8th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!!!!

I've had 1 chick hatch out of the two that made it to lockdown. It has a herniated umbilical, I put blue kote on it. Any other recommendations? I really hope egg #2 hatches.crosses fingers

14 so far. A few more pips to go. Lost one, its nose was out but membrane was really thick.

Only second time I've used a incubator and did lot better last time.
Ok, so now where I went wrong?
Didn't open incubator after lockdown and not for 24hrs after first 13 hatched.
Decided to remove 13 quick, was no pips in any other eggs.

Humidity holding 60-65%, 70% when eggs were hatching. I ran dry, lower than last hatch, 24% until lockdown. Thought air cells looked fine.

Another 24hrs later, here's the bad, eggs were good. Did a eggtopsy.
I figured they were going to be undeveloped rotten early mid or late quitters.
Nope, all fully developed dead chicks.
They didn't look shrink wrapped or drowned. Looked like they should have hatched.
Not sure when they died. I was using the flat roller turner 'IncuTurn' and they got pushed around a lot by the first chicks that hatched. IDK??
Any suggestions on where I went wrong?

They are from @caychris a mix of new dels, hatchery and I think a third line.
Yep I have 2 Bonham Line (via @capayvalleychick Kim) girls 2 girls that were hatched From Neal's birds ( @zooman ) which were one male from Kim and 4 females with one hatchery bird in the pen. (THe hatchery bird laid lighter eggs so we are pretty sure the eggs were full Bonham but the neck feathering was unbarred)
And I have 5 girls from Privets lines from Concord Feed the 2 three year olds and 3 that I chose last year specifically looking for wide heads. The male is an oops feed store chick from last year. Here are some pics of some of the parents

Only second time I've used a incubator and did lot better last time.
Ok, so now where I went wrong?
Didn't open incubator after lockdown and not for 24hrs after first 13 hatched.
Decided to remove 13 quick, was no pips in any other eggs.

Humidity holding 60-65%, 70% when eggs were hatching. I ran dry, lower than last hatch, 24% until lockdown. Thought air cells looked fine.

Another 24hrs later, here's the bad, eggs were good. Did a eggtopsy.
I figured they were going to be undeveloped rotten early mid or late quitters.
Nope, all fully developed dead chicks.
They didn't look shrink wrapped or drowned. Looked like they should have hatched.
Not sure when they died. I was using the flat roller turner 'IncuTurn' and they got pushed around a lot by the first chicks that hatched. IDK??
Any suggestions on where I went wrong?
Had the deceased ones pipped internally?

Had the deceased ones pipped internally?

No, no internal pip.
They were still curled up. Membrane intact, tough membrane but not dried onto them. Looked like maybe died the day all the rest pipped and popped out.
Other than not being alive looked just as developed as the one's that hatched.

Back
Top Bottom