The 9th Annual BYC Easter Hatchalong!

I put 8 eggs into lockdown last night. I've been trying the dry hatch method for the first time so my humidity has been around 28-30% average for the duration (very dry climate). I added water last night and this morning humidity was at 60%. I know for lockdown you want to try to increase by 15%. Is a 30% increase too much?

My problem in the past was drowning chicks so I want to make sure I don't do them harm in the last 3 days. Their weight loss for day 18 ranged from 11%-19%. My guess is that since their weight loss is above "normal" they should be okay.

Last edited:
I have read about quail hatching like that! Some think they communicate with each other and try to hatch at the same time.

We occasionally hatch out Gambel Quail. The wild ones all hatch out within 90 minutes from start to finish. Probably a survival thing.

- - - -
11 eggs (Marans x OE/EE) in lockdown. :fl

I put 8 eggs into lockdown last night. I've been trying the dry hatch method for the first time so my humidity has been around 28-30% average for the duration (very dry climate). I added water last night and this morning humidity was at 60%. I know for lockdown you want to try to increase by 15%. Is a 30% increase too much?

My problem in the past was drowning chicks so I want to make sure I don't do them harm in the last 3 days. Their weight loss for day 18 ranged from 11%-19%. My guess is that since their weight loss is above "normal" they should be okay.

They should be fine. I’ve done these quail of mine at 30% as when I collected the eggs the lady said she’d had trouble with them drowning. I’ve gradually put the humidity up to 65% today and they seem to be hatching all good. I can see plenty of movement too in the eggs.

Good luck :fl

We occasionally hatch out Gambel Quail. The wild ones all hatch out within 90 minutes from start to finish. Probably a survival thing.

- - - -
11 eggs (Marans x OE/EE) in lockdown. :fl

Wow that’s fast! 90mins!

Good luck with your 11 :fl

Lockdown today! I think I have 12 Olive Eggers and 13 Black Copper Marans.
Temp @ 99 Fahrenheit, humidity @ 65. Good Luck, everybody!

Good luck to you too :fl

I also do dry incubation but for the hatch, always bring the humidity up to around 60% with great success :)

I also do dry incubation but for the hatch, always bring the humidity up to around 60% with great success :)
Humidity during incubation should not go below 25%. There are places where it is so dry that humidity will go that low.

I wonder if I might ask a couple questions since so many hatchers are huddled together. I am doing my first incubation. I am on day 2 but googling for info. I read that ...

1 If the temp is on the low side in incubator you will have a better hatch rate for Pullets, if it is on the high side you have a better hatch rate for Cockerels.

2. I read that it is not uncommon for Bantams to hatch a little earlier than expected. My Rooster is a Bantam Cochin and the Hens are Not. would they (I mean other than Mutts) be expected to be Bantam or LF?

Thank you for any assistance. If I can get this right this time I may have to join the fun next year! Good Hatches to all!
For number 1, last fall I had a red ranger hen go broody she always felt warmer than the other hens so I'm guessing she was also warmer while brooding. She hatched out 3 girls and 1 boy.
For number 2, I read somewhere that the chicks will have the size of the mother and the color of the father. No clue how true that is though.

I put 18 eggs in lockdown early this morning.I'm not sure about 4 of them but put them in anyways.3 of of those 4 are very dark color eggs making it hard to see inside but they didn't look fully developed.The 4th egg had a accident and was cracked pretty bad.A egg slipped out of my hand but I was able to catch it with other hand.Only problem was the hand I caught it with was already holding a egg.When falling egg hit egg in my hand it smashed it pretty good..
There is good news cracked egg is still wiggling around so chick isn't dead.If it can survive till tomorrow(day20) it will most likely survive.
0328180124a.jpg

Last edited:
They should be fine. I’ve done these quail of mine at 30% as when I collected the eggs the lady said she’d had trouble with them drowning. I’ve gradually put the humidity up to 65% today and they seem to be hatching all good. I can see plenty of movement too in the eggs.
Great thanks. Funny enough I never had trouble with hatching my quail chicks. I usually got good hatches from them but these darn chickens eggs...:barnie

Back
Top Bottom