The Aloha Chicken Project

I'm really interested in seeing how these chickens do.currently I have 15 amerucanas with one being a beautiful white rooster. I also have four black star hens and two white leghorns and a rock rooster. If your interested in seeing what we can make,let me know. I live in White Hills about 30 miles from Hoover Dam. Cooler and thankfully no losses from heat.

Hi,
When can you post pictures of you birds?
Thanks

A few new pics.

The youngest generation of girls. Still scary-hot here, keeping my fingers crossed that they can make it. Going to be 108 tomorrow.

And as usual, the golden color resists spots:

I am still keeping the above girl. You can see a few spots here or there. Her body color is gorgeous. Now if only it had more spotting.

This one roo still is showing a ton of white.

We are only about a month away from some relief to the temps. Oh, not that much relief, mind you! We won't see anything under 100 degrees until October. But maybe, we may drop down to "only" the low 100's by September. It's when we get near 110 that I seriously worry about the chickies.

Sommer, those are all looking really good. I also hope they can survive the heat. The past two years it has bordered on Phoenix weather right here in Kansas but this summer has been wildly different. I think we've only had 1-2 triple digit days (had 55 two summers ago) so far and none in the 7-day forecast. Temps have been more in the 80's BUT - its been so wet that the humidity makes the heat index much warmer. That is the huge surprise - I am not used to summers here being wet. We were in drought the past few years and I didn't expect to see an end to the drought but as much rain as we've had in the past few weeks. we're starting to feel optimistic about it. The rain means we have to mow in a month when we ordinarily wouldn't, too.

A few new pics.

The youngest generation of girls. Still scary-hot here, keeping my fingers crossed that they can make it. Going to be 108 tomorrow.

We are only about a month away from some relief to the temps. Oh, not that much relief, mind you! We won't see anything under 100 degrees until October. But maybe, we may drop down to "only" the low 100's by September. It's when we get near 110 that I seriously worry about the chickies.
Keep the ground moist especially locations where the birds dust.

Stay cool.

Went up to Stephen's yesterday for the heartbreaking task of culling most of the roosters!
sad.png

So sad, but it had to be done, it was getting way too crowded in there and he even had a couple of nice pullets get trampled. So here's a pic of the B.C. (Before Culling.)

We had talked about leaving only 10 roosters to grow out, but after I hemmed and hawed so much, he let me sneak in a few more so it's probably more like a dozen left now!

Here are some of the CULLED roos:

Also removed a few small gray legged pullets with little to no spotting. In total, we culled about 35-40 chickens, I think.

When we were done, this is what we were left with. There will surely be a few hens that will need to be culled, some were not showing much white! And we know others will dump a ton of white at four months old. These are between 2-3 months old, so we should be able to a final cull in September and have breeding pens set up by December. If we get 10-12 hens and 2 roos out of this batch I'll be thrilled.

I could not believe my eyes when i saw these chickens, they are a match to my games here on the gulf coast of texas.i don't have pics but i will. amazing likeness !Mine are true fighting game. i raise them for fun and eggs. the original cock i started with his grandfather was a 3 time derby winner. pics later!

Question...I have a rooster which I always questioned if he was true Ameracauna, but his tail was the wrong coloring. So my when my Ameracauna hen had a speckled chick, I started looking around and thought I would ask your opinion. Obviously they are cross bred with something else, but I was just trying to figure out with what LOL Here is a pic of the chick with my hen and the next is my rooster I got these from my mother who believed she had Ameracauna chickens, her hen looks like mine and here is her rooster. He has black with white in his tail

Question...I have a rooster which I always questioned if he was true Ameracauna, but his tail was the wrong coloring. So my when my Ameracauna hen had a speckled chick, I started looking around and thought I would ask your opinion. Obviously they are cross bred with something else, but I was just trying to figure out with what LOL Here is a pic of the chick with my hen and the next is my rooster I got these from my mother who believed she had Ameracauna chickens, her hen looks like mine and here is her rooster. He has black with white in his tail
That chick looks like it has barring. A clearer picture (just the chick) would help.

Back
Top Bottom