The AMERAUCANA thread

This is my favorite part about the wheatens lol. Chicks are 6 weeks old, and already showing sexually dimorphic color- I’m like 90% sure this is a male-female pair. The boys start getting their dark blue/black feathers super quick, I’ve been thinking it to be a male-dominated clutch for a week or two, but this is the first chance I’ve gotten to photograph them, and took notice of the (probably a pullet) wheaten on the right.

The parents of these chicks were all accurately sexed by 6 weeks old as well, the point at which I’d checked in on their development as well, just by the fact the males were already mostly blue.
IMG_8440.jpeg

This is my favorite part about the wheatens lol. Chicks are 6 weeks old, and already showing sexually dimorphic color- I’m like 90% sure this is a male-female pair. The boys start getting their dark blue/black feathers super quick, I’ve been thinking it to be a male-dominated clutch for a week or two, but this is the first chance I’ve gotten to photograph them, and took notice of the (probably a pullet) wheaten on the right.

The parents of these chicks were all accurately sexed by 6 weeks old as well, the point at which I’d checked in on their development as well, just by the fact the males were already mostly blue. View attachment 3789892
This is one of the reasons I want the silvers.

The wheaten hen’s eggs hatched. Another hen went broody a week before the clutch hatched, and they wound up co-brooding. 5 chicks hatched, and they seem like insanely protective mothers. The original broody hen accepted the new one pretty quickly as well.
IMG_8444.jpeg

Last edited:
I’m beginning to see that these birds rival my Cochins in broodiness. 3 more have gone broody, potentially even 4… meaning I only have 2 hens of the 8 I have who haven’t shown any broody-like behavior.View attachment 3809567
That’s funny! I’ve not had a bantam Ameraucana that’s broody yet, and Bonnie is very uninterested in the whole thing! 🤪 I got 6 eggs to develop and hatch and 5 of them died within the first week :-( So I have one lonely girl I’m hoping grows up strong.

Back
Top Bottom