The AMERAUCANA thread

Yeah, there are a lot of very opinionated people in that group!! I definitely agree with you that it’s a silly and sort of made up thing when they insist it’s something else entirely if the phenotype isn’t perfect. While I totally agree with @pipdzipdnreadytogo that the reason makes sense—the ridiculous vehemence that comes at you over it is far over the top. I sell mine as project Ameraucanas because they’re a guaranteed blue egg and they meet all the standards but color. When they have wrong combs, wrong leg colors, etc…they’re still projects to me but they’re more accurately EEs. Either way though…the angry and stubborn attitude is just off putting and somewhat irrational and makes you less interested in being involved. I feel you there! I also find that group to be the first to tell you to scrap every bird with an issue and start over. That’s not mentoring and teaching…that’s just a fast way to extinguish enthusiasm for the group and the breed. I’ve had a couple occasions to almost leave that group! 🤪
Yup, this is entirely how I feel. Everyone is about easy and not working with what they have but discarding all of it if its not perfect. In no way is that teaching anything to new comers other than never do anything unless its easy and and as close to perfection as you can get. If it has leakage just get rid of it all and start over instead of learning how to fix the leakage and working with what you have. I also don't think they know the definition of mutt. Anyway I'll just no show and keep on with what I wish to work on. The mentorship on this site has been better than anywhere ells by far. :yesss:🥰

Just to highlight the difference between a top breeder in another breed and the Ameraucana Breeders.

"If you think you have the patience to raise colored Rosecombs then PLEASE consider making your own strain. It takes a few years (ok, more than a few...it's a never-ending thing...), but you're not going to get instant perfection out of mine or anyone else's anyway. Truth be told there really need to be more strains of these birds out there." Quote from Katherine Plumer a renowned rosecomb breeder and well respected in their group.

If we make our one lines from other chickens instead of just buying into a line we help diversity the genes with in the breed. Less chance of losing them entirely and less chance of failing vigor.

Just to highlight the difference between a top breeder in another breed and the Ameraucana Breeders.

"If you think you have the patience to raise colored Rosecombs then PLEASE consider making your own strain. It takes a few years (ok, more than a few...it's a never-ending thing...), but you're not going to get instant perfection out of mine or anyone else's anyway. Truth be told there really need to be more strains of these birds out there." Quote from Katherine Plumer a renowned rosecomb breeder and well respected in their group.

If we make our one lines from other chickens instead of just buying into a line we help diversity the genes with in the breed. Less chance of losing them entirely and less chance of failing vigor.
Exactly! This is what real mentorship and guidance looks like. Is that the Katherine Plummer out here? I know a Katherine that shows Rosecombs here in CA. She’s really nice and down to Earth. :)

Exactly! This is what real mentorship and guidance looks like. Is that the Katherine Plummer out here? I know a Katherine that shows Rosecombs here in CA. She’s really nice and down to Earth. :)
Yeah that's her. I almost bought birds from her but didn't want non NPIP tested birds or to break the law. I may do that next year if she has what I want or I might take that advice and start my own line.

Got my first wheaten bantams to hatch! I think anyway 😆 They’re really white…is that common? I’m used to seeing a bit of black on them and more of a yellow down. So sweet though! 😍

Attachments

• IMG_0093.jpeg
    IMG_0093.jpeg
    410 KB · Views: 0
The broodiness of each breed is something I’ve very slowly been learning. Unless it’s a breed renown for being broody, I’ve been somewhat defaulting to assuming I wouldn’t get broody hens. I’ve been bamboozled by surprise broody hens in breeds where you don’t hear about broodiness several times now… Yet still made the assumption my ameraucanas wouldn’t go broody 😬. Definitely my fault for not researching, I now know ameraucanas are able to go broody though.

I find about half of my LF Ameraucana hens go broody at least once a year.
Then there have been a couple who think that's their real job in life 😅. Both of those are Isabel. I rehomed one because it was getting a bit much, but kept Susie because she's Susie, lol.

The Blacks are far less determined. My favorite for looks, Satin, has never shown the urge, and keeps laying 6 days a week. Those descended from John Blehms line (with another breeder in between).
I think it says something about the people who had them before you, which birds found success reproducing. In the case of the Isabels, I don't think she used an incubator. 😋

I find about half of my LF Ameraucana hens go broody at least once a year.
Then there have been a couple who think that's their real job in life 😅. Both of those are Isabel. I rehomed one because it was getting a bit much, but kept Susie because she's Susie, lol.

The Blacks are far less determined. My favorite for looks, Satin, has never shown the urge, and keeps laying 6 days a week. Those descended from John Blehms line (with another breeder in between).
I think it says something about the people who had them before you, which birds found success reproducing. In the case of the Isabels, I don't think she used an incubator. 😋
Super interesting! I agree it probably stems from the selective practices of the original breeder. Some people prefer more steady laying, some prefer to let hens brood. I personally appreciate it when a hen goes broody, given it saves me incubator space. It’s not a trait I’ll be actively looking to get rid of for the foreseeable future.

Back
Top Bottom