The American Cemani Breeders Club...open forum

Pics
You can try both ways and see which one maintains the larger carcass size and egg production better(assuming you have the space for both experiment)? and with that said, we should take this to the black meat thread instead, since i'm hijacking it and it's going off topic

That's ok. I'm wanting to find out more on the difference between clear toenails and white. How to really tell the difference, as I have noticed better/darker coloring on the more recent hatchlings from my friend's non Smithsonian line of ac. The gff cemani look better/blacker.

It does seem that the pullets show better black saturated coloring. One of my crow reduction surgery roos has a very floppy comb?

That's ok. I'm wanting to find out more on the difference between clear toenails and white. How to really tell the difference, as I have noticed better/darker coloring on the more recent hatchlings from my friend's non Smithsonian line of ac. The gff cemani look better/blacker.

It does seem that the pullets show better black saturated coloring. One of my crow reduction surgery roos has a very floppy comb?

@ Double Kindness . I am still confused about where the non-smithsonin line of AC came from. Obviously they are not from TM, GFF or I assume Mike bean as he only had the "smithonian" ones, or have I totally missed something?
Thanks!

@ Double Kindness . I am still confused about where the non-smithsonin line of AC came from. Obviously they are not from TM, GFF or I assume Mike bean as he only had the "smithonian" ones, or have I totally missed something?
Thanks!

They came from Mike Bean. He has two lines, or that's what he said. I have one bird from this line, and comparing her next to my TM hens, she is much bigger. Not very game looking at all, and really, I'm leaning toward the fact that somewhere down the line, leghorn was introduced. Her body type is just so much different from the real deal hens that it makes me suspicious. Then again, Mike was breeding for egg laying capabilities, so maybe that body type is something that comes along with high egg production. Her comb, wattles, and face are all black, but her tongue is pink.

Last edited:
Some of my non Smithsonian ac have black tongues, black faces, black skin on the pullets and they seem gamey looking to me.

My understanding was mike bean had 2 lines, one the Smithsonian and one non. I had 2 roos go in for crow reduction surgery, the vet said charcoal skin, charcoal teachea, mulberry black heart on my boys insides.

Since then, I have 1 nicer blacker ac boy. But I'm unable to get the crow reduction surgery on him, as I have 2 am white bresse needing the surgery. We can't keep all the roosters.

My friend has a mated pair from gff that look blacker. But they have much of the same shape at the same age as her non Smithsonian ac, but better coloring.

Idk what I'm doing yet, which is why I come here. I don't know enough. I have leghorn, but I don't see leghorn in the ac I have, but I don't have a trained eye. Mine were hatched in august and September, so they are still quite young.

I'm working with what I have, I am working on a black meat bird project and gleaning information to better plan my next step in my projects. But I'm interested in fibromelanistic traits and breeds and find them quite beautiful and intriguing.

I have read the studies on fibromelanistic meat chicken nutritional values vs cx and heritage breeds which is one of the reasons I am also interested in this. And I'm half Korean, which idk for some reason these birds pull at me unlike other breeds. Like I am supposed to have them or something. Ok batty rambling done for now.

Some of my non Smithsonian ac have black tongues, black faces, black skin on the pullets and they seem gamey looking to me.

My understanding was mike bean had 2 lines, one the Smithsonian and one non. I had 2 roos go in for crow reduction surgery, the vet said charcoal skin, charcoal teachea, mulberry black heart on my boys insides.

Since then, I have 1 nicer blacker ac boy. But I'm unable to get the crow reduction surgery on him, as I have 2 am white bresse needing the surgery. We can't keep all the roosters.

My friend has a mated pair from gff that look blacker. But they have much of the same shape at the same age as her non Smithsonian ac, but better coloring.

Idk what I'm doing yet, which is why I come here. I don't know enough. I have leghorn, but I don't see leghorn in the ac I have, but I don't have a trained eye. Mine were hatched in august and September, so they are still quite young.

I'm working with what I have, I am working on a black meat bird project and gleaning information to better plan my next step in my projects. But I'm interested in fibromelanistic traits and breeds and find them quite beautiful and intriguing.

I have read the studies on fibromelanistic meat chicken nutritional values vs cx and heritage breeds which is one of the reasons I am also interested in this. And I'm half Korean, which idk for some reason these birds pull at me unlike other breeds. Like I am supposed to have them or something. Ok batty rambling done for now.

If there's any interest, I would be happy to post a picture of the one hen next to the others for comparison. For all I know this bird IS from the Smithsonian lines, I was told she wasn't, but who knows. There may actually be a third line. I don't know if anyone saw, but for a while Mike was selling eggs on eBay from birds he claimed were 99% cemani, with leghorn mixed in in the past. Openly admitting that they where mixed. Maybe I got one of these, even though that's not what I paid for.

Is anyone trying to breed to the standard yet or is everyone still mostly focusing on color? I think I'll be going for both at once. As is said, "You have to build the barn before you can paint it." Of course since color is a really important aspect of this breed, it will be interesting to try to strike a balance between choosing for type, form, and color.

Randy, How much does the Svarts Hona roo weigh you bought on auction a few weeks ago? Is it much larger than the Cemani roos? Is it as nice looking in person as it looked in the pics?
Rob

Back
Top Bottom