The American Cemani Breeders Club...open forum

I just started a month ago and still learning myself, but I have noticed that you never know the true quality until they mature. Everyone I've talked to have said don't cull chicks because they change so much as they grow. That chick with white toes might end up with perfect black ears and comb and legs while that sold black chick could end up with green legs an red in their comb. I am finding I have no patience to wait and see lol I keep forgetting my guys are only about 4 weeks old

I heard they are, but I'm not willing to shell out 600$ even if they are. They have a different look to them than the GFF line, but not by much. I haven't found anyone who has gotten them though to hear from them about it.

I just started a month ago and still learning myself, but I have noticed that you never know the true quality until they mature. Everyone I've talked to have said don't cull chicks because they change so much as they grow. That chick with white toes might end up with perfect black ears and comb and legs while that sold black chick could end up with green legs an red in their comb. I am finding I have no patience to wait and see lol I keep forgetting my guys are only about 4 weeks old

I cull chicks and I think most breeders here do too. I always immediately cull (don't necessarily kill them but immediately dismiss any possibility of them being used for breeding) any chicks that hatch with white/pink on their toenails or toes or white on their wingtips or chicks that grow out a few white feathers. They may darken up as they age (many do) but to me it's a sign that their expression of fibro isn't great, and I've never had a rooster that had those traits mature to not have red in his wattles or comb. I also cull any with feather stubs immediately and if I were you I'd be culling that one with green legs. I've actually never had that particular thing happen to me before - none of mine have ever had green legs before and those that hatched black have never turned green. That's not a gene you want to keep around.

Last edited:
Thank you! Sorry about that, I was hoping one of you guys would show. I was just going by what I've been told about growing out chicks <3 oh I have plans on Culling them, but we will use them for meat so I'm letting them grow out for now

I cull chicks and I think most breeders here do too. I always immediately cull (don't necessarily kill them but immediately dismiss any possibility of them being used for breeding) any chicks that hatch with white/pink on their toenails or toes or white on their wingtips or chicks that grow out a few white feathers. They may darken up as they age (many do) but to me it's a sign that their expression of fibro isn't great, and I've never had a rooster that had those traits mature to not have red in his wattles or comb. I also cull any with feather stubs immediately and if I were you I'd be culling that one with green legs. I've actually never had that particular thing happen to me before - none of mine have ever had green legs before and those that hatched black have never turned green. That's not a gene you want to keep around.

I was one that advised not to make permanent cull decisions on chicks, but that was from the pics shown of the chicks (don't remember seeing any obvious culls) and at the viewpoint of just starting out with very limited numbers...

Sorry I wasn't more clear and hope I didn't mess up anything...

Thank you! Sorry about that, I was hoping one of you guys would show. I was just going by what I've been told about growing out chicks <3 oh I have plans on Culling them, but we will use them for meat so I'm letting them grow out for now

Green legs is a new development... I don't think you mentioned that before? I agree with Pyxis, that sounds very off... I would band it so you at least don't lose track of which it is in case the leg color changes again... different color small zip ties come in handy for things like that, and just keep good notes on which is which and why there are issues/etc...

I was one that advised not to make permanent cull decisions on chicks, but that was from the pics shown of the chicks (don't remember seeing any obvious culls) and at the viewpoint of just starting out with very limited numbers...

No worries! When just starting out I'm sure some breeders keep culls. I would just keep records in case they do darken up so they could be culled from the flock as soon as possible. Everyone has to start somewhere :) There are some things though that I would never keep around even if just starting out, like feather stubs and that odd green leg thing.

No worries! When just starting out I'm sure some breeders keep culls. I would just keep records in case they do darken up so they could be culled from the flock as soon as possible. Everyone has to start somewhere :) There are some things though that I would never keep around even if just starting out, like feather stubs and that odd green leg thing.

Exactly... and I failed to clarify those parts, lol... some things I do automatically and see as common sense and don't think to make special note of it to others... like keeping track and records of those bits...

Green legs is a new development... I don't think you mentioned that before? I agree with Pyxis, that sounds very off... I would band it so you at least don't lose track of which it is in case the leg color changes again... different color small zip ties come in handy for things like that, and just keep good notes on which is which and why there are issues/etc...

I'm still not too sure if it was really green or if it was due to the pine pellets mixing with their black skin. I have since switched them to sand and a bigger coop. I was planning on giving them all another once over Saturday. I have pics in my thread. I'm on my phone now but I posted the link like 2-3 posts ago. I'm still not sure but read that they can leak to a green color

EDIT:
FXDUen4l.jpg

This is what I'm talking about

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom