The American Cemani Breeders Club...open forum

The Cemanis will be 9 weeks old this coming Friday. Guessing gender at an early age (days old) only worked on 4. Two males were relatively easy to pick even though they were only days old (pix 1 & 2). A couple of females were also easy (last 2 pix). Two males hid their gender til wk 6 (pic 3), & 7 (pic 4) weeks. Obviously I was hoping for more pullets. I have since purchased another 6; 2 @ 2 wks old, & four at only days old.

Anyway, here’s what they look like now. I am quite pleased with all of them. At least for now.

Attachments

• IMG_7147.JPG
    IMG_7147.JPG
    920.9 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_7129.JPG
    IMG_7129.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_7149.JPG
    IMG_7149.JPG
    916.8 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_7158.JPG
    IMG_7158.JPG
    797.6 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_7140.JPG
    IMG_7140.JPG
    814 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_7142.JPG
    IMG_7142.JPG
    886.1 KB · Views: 38
They are looking great, Blue eager! The one in the 4th picture looks like it is starting to develop a mulberry color on it's face, but the rest still look very dark. Gorgeous birds. :)

Mine, now at 12 weeks, have feathered in with some leakage. Only one is very silver, though. I actually love the colors because it's so striking a difference between the black and white. I haven't taken individual pictures in a while, I'll have to do that soon.

At this point I am relatively certain I have only 2 girls. One of them is for sure based on her practically non-existent comb, and the other I am basing on her thinner legs and weight compared to the others. The two I think are girls are both much lighter than the boys, despite appearing to be the same overall size.

20180606_181952.jpg

The one in the 4th picture looks like it is starting to develop a mulberry color on it's face
View attachment 1420222

Here's another photo of #4. As you can see there is no mulberry color on it's face. The lighting at late evening distorted the color. None of my Cemanis show any signs of color leakage...yet. Knock on wood.

Your Cemanis look very nice!

Attachments

• IMG_7162.JPG
    IMG_7162.JPG
    881.9 KB · Views: 36
I finally completed my pullet/cockerel pen (once a compost area). Also added a layer box for future egg collections. Here are a few pix of the pen & the Cemanis mixed in with Blue Ameraucanas. I also let the Cemanis explore their back yard for the first time. These have to be the most pleasent, great tempered chickens of all time (all except 1 pullet. She's a bit tempermental). Easy to approach & love a back message. They literally fall asleep in the palm of your hand. :)

Attachments

• Cemani 1.JPG
    Cemani 1.JPG
    798.8 KB · Views: 29
  • Cemani 2.JPG
    Cemani 2.JPG
    1,023.1 KB · Views: 28
  • Cemani 3.JPG
    Cemani 3.JPG
    972.5 KB · Views: 28
  • Cenami 4.JPG
    Cenami 4.JPG
    844.5 KB · Views: 28
  • Cenami 5.JPG
    Cenami 5.JPG
    908.2 KB · Views: 28
  • Cenami 6.JPG
    Cenami 6.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 29
  • Cenami 7.JPG
    Cenami 7.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 28
  • Cenami 8.JPG
    Cenami 8.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 29
  • Cenami 9.JPG
    Cenami 9.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 28
I have a question for breeders about tail set. One of my hens has a perky fanned out tail. She carries it that way almost always. Here is a picture of her.
20180506_120446-1.jpg

The other has a more humpy downward pointing tail. She can perk it up sometimes, but the majority of the time she carries it more horizontal. I see this in other breeds too, sometimes it's more droopy. Here is a picture of her. Perhaps it isn't that noticeable but there is a difference between the two hens.
20180414_131223.jpg

I'm incubating eggs from both hens right now, but don't see the point of worrying about color if form isn't correct first. Any thoughts about the importance or nonimportance of the angle of the tail?

Back
Top Bottom