The Authentic Scavenger Hunt

How about... Any fowl with a nice, bright yellow or orange beak / bill?
call ducks swimming (3 of 1).jpg

How about a pair of birds that look so much alike it's hard to tell them apart--

View attachment 1642491
her and her, yes they are two different birds
View attachment 1642492
a bird with a backstory about its name
How much of a story do you want?
Nardole the Brave, Defender of the Flock!
Originally named Blanche and the beloved pet of two children, he was renamed Bart when he began to crow, and as a joke, named after a tv show character with a bald head.
He is ridiculous, but also the BEST rooster ever-- heroically brave, gentle with his hens, and a general peace keeper.
His name came from charging a fox at just a few months old, and he just earned it again before Christmas by beating off a hawk!
He's tiny, goofy, and the most ridiculous bird I have ever met, but there is no hint of jest in his title-- he IS my Brave Defender of the Flock!
20190101_151844.jpg

Next, another story!

How much of a story do you want?
Nardole the Brave, Defender of the Flock!
Originally named Blanche and the beloved pet of two children, he was renamed Bart when he began to crow, and as a joke, named after a tv show character with a bald head.
He is ridiculous, but also the BEST rooster ever-- heroically brave, gentle with his hens, and a general peace keeper.
His name came from charging a fox at just a few months old, and he just earned it again before Christmas by beating off a hawk!
He's tiny, goofy, and the most ridiculous bird I have ever met, but there is no hint of jest in his title-- he IS my Brave Defender of the Flock!
View attachment 1642590
Next, another story!
I love this story! I have a brave defender also, Flugel fought off a hawk recently. It had grabbed a bantam hen who was yelling loudly, and Flugel caused it to drop the little hen, and fly off as I ran out into the yard.
The name Flugel means 'wings' in German. He's an Appenzeller Spitzhauben. This breed originates in a part of Switzerland where German in spoken, so I decided to name the Spitzes German names. When just a few days old this chick's wing feathers came in like this, looking like split wings:
Wingside (3 of 1).jpg I posted about it here on BYC and was told not to worry, it would fill in. And @Granny Hatchet told me it meant he was a rooster! Both were true! His wings filled in the next day and he was the first chick to fly, and thus earned the name Flugel.
He's my brave boy, and now like Dona's Nardole, is also a Defender of the Flock!
Flugel flapping 7 22  (3 of 1).jpg

Next, show us another bird with a name with a story behind it--Or another flock defender.....

Last edited:
I love this story! I have a brave defender also, Flugel fought off a hawk recently. It had grabbed a bantam hen who was yelling loudly, and Flugel caused it to drop the little hen, and fly off as I ran out into the yard.
The name Flugel means 'wings' in German. He's an Appenzeller Spitzhauben. This breed originates in a part of Switzerland where German in spoken, so I decided to name the Spitzes German names. When just a few days old this chick's wing feathers came in like this, looking like split wings:
View attachment 1642672 I posted about it here on BYC and was told not to worry, it would fill in. And @Granny Hatchet told me it meant he was a rooster! Both were true! His wings filled in the next day and he was the first chick to fly, and thus earned the name Flugel.
He's my brave boy, and now like Dona's Nardole, is also a Defender of the Flock!
View attachment 1642673
Next, show us another bird with a name with a story behind it--Or another flock defender.....

I love chicken stories! Lol

Ok China was one of my first 6 chicks. As they got their hormones most turned really mean, I couldn't feed them anymore and they would attack each other especially they would try to hurt China. Well it got so bad that they went after my new chicks by climbing a 7 ft fence so we culled them except for China she was sweet and smart and came to me when I called her name so we made her a small run and home and put the new birds next to her. She loves them and feels like their protector. Watches and does warning calls. She is smart and tells when a snake comes, etc.

Well one day 2 rottweilers got loose from their owner and came to torment my girls they ran while China launched at them over and over through the fencing distracting them we came out and chased them off.
China lost a spur and got some Crest cuts bc of the chicken wire but she is good now

20181220_095048.jpg

Well, the dairy farm is Elysian Fields, and my coop is The Sunshine Motel!
View attachment 1642932
Next: another sunset picture of your coop/flock/most photogenic bird.

I'll go with photogenic bird that I think has the color of a golden sunset ;)

This is Ellie, short for Elenor Rigby per request from dd :cool:
20181221_095842.jpg

Next hunt I like the idea of a story of one or more of your poultry with a pic

Back
Top Bottom