The Broody Duck Thread for 2014

Congrats to all on the ducklings and the ones yet to come. My first hatch ever of 16 are all gone already and i miss the little guys, so glad i can see some on here. However, it is nice to see mom and dad together all day swimming in the pond and him not alone anymore. Would like to thank Lydia and all the people on here for their help through my 1st hatch.
wink.png

Our mom of the year started laying again yesterday but she is still in full on mama duck mode, and all 13 are doing well. She took them across the rd the other day - guess she couldn't resist the freshly tilled field - and two of her babies had a run in with a car. I think they will both be ok, but hopefully she learned her lesson!

I'm so upset when I got up this morning my husband told me he went to check on things and someone had stepped on the nest and broken an egg with a perfectly formed baby duck. I'm so upset. We were are going to build a partition to block everybody out this afternoon but I guess we didn't get it done in time:(

I'm so upset when I got up this morning my husband told me he went to check on things and someone had stepped on the nest and broken an egg with a perfectly formed baby duck. I'm so upset. We were are going to build a partition to block everybody out this afternoon but I guess we didn't get it done in time:(
That's sad , glad it wasn't more that the one.

I know what you mean. At 1st I couldn't wait for them to start setting, then I couldn't wait for the eggs to hatch, then for the ducklings to grow enough for poultry pellets and swimming, then for them to be big enough to integrate into the flock. Now there's 1 duck setting, due to hatch Saturday and I can't wait for it to be all over. My flock of 12 is now 21 and 14 eggs to hatch. I think I've had enough for this year.

Back
Top Bottom