The Buckeye Thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Happy Chooks, Jul 10, 2013.

1. slfarms

slfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2013

Good luck with yours as well and thank you for a nice response.

2. buffalogal

buffalogal Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2010
    Just so we know we're talking about the same parts of the bird, I did a quickie mock up (using my own cross breed bird) illustrating these "fluffy' areas as I interpret them. Chris, if this isn't what you're talking about, feel free to correct me.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
  3. cgmccary

cgmccary Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    NE Alabama
    Yes, that looks right.

Edit: "A" is also what I am referring to as "cushion."

4. buckeyechicken

buckeyechicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2013
    My Coop
  5. fowlman01

fowlman01 Overrun With Chickens

Sep 2, 2010
    Sonoma County CA
    Hmmm...for some reason you don't come across as a newbie. The wings should not be lower for any reason whatsoever. You don't change the Standard to hide a fault.
    The first consideration of type by anyone is the body, not the tail. If Doug said that he was incorrect. I have a lot of respect for Doug......a lot of respect, but he is not a judge, nor do I think he made that statement in that way.

Walt

1 person likes this.
  6. buffalogal

Nov 28, 2010

7. cgmccary

cgmccary Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    NE Alabama
    nevermind

Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
  8. fowlman01

fowlman01 Overrun With Chickens

Sep 2, 2010
    Sonoma County CA
    You are not a Grand Master of a breed until the APA says you are. He has 41 points as of the last APA yearbook (2012)...he needs 100. I doubt very much that he got 59 points in the few shows he showed in this season. The most you can get in a show is 25 points and most shows are 5-15 points even if you win best of show (best of show adds 2 points period!). Maybe he has enough, but until the APA issues you the designation, you are not a Grand Master of anything. I am sure he will attain that at some point, but don't jump the gun . I realize you said "unofficially" but I want people to understand that it is not that easy and people usually overestimate their wins. I'm a Grand Master in 8 breeds and no one believes anything I say, so why give him any special credence? lol

Walt

2 people like this.
  9. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    SPEW ALERT! (note to self: make sure to not have a full cup of coffee when Walt's posting).

Walt, EIGHT breeds? Holy heck. And, by the way, you're so very wrong to think no one believes anything you say. [​IMG]

Also, buffalogal, EXCELLENT idea to use a bird of a different breed to show what you mean - type is type, if you're talking about a bird with a cushion when it should not have one, show ANY bird with a cushion beside ANY bird that does not. I had this same discussion with one of the longtime Buckeye posters here several weeks ago. You don't always need to use a picture of the breed you are directly discussing to talk about a type issue. Just recently, we were discussing length of back in one of the Marans threads, and I posted THIS picture as a good example of what I was talking about:

[​IMG]

This is a juvenile Columbian Rock pullet, but it clearly shows a nice length of back. I also find that when I'm looking at a different breed, it often allows me to "see" more type, as I'm not trying to evaluate the entire bird, like I would have been if it was the breed being discussed.

10. buffalogal

Nov 28, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by