The Chickendad Chronicles

We don't spoil our chickens, never :love I got to the store late yesterday, needed "chicken pickens", but the farmer that buys the bulk of the grocer's produce waste came early and I was left holding an empty box, literally. So I came home and scrounged for evening treats. Came up with a tired looking spaghetti squash from under the bed (dark cool storage place), some Irish Soda bread that DH brought home (full of yucky raisins.) and the last of the green chili and chicken from earlier this week. They thought it is a good treat, but obviously not much in quantity. Today found me at the store at lunch time, so the girls are set for awhile. Lots of lettuce, and kale. Hope they like egg plant, since there were in the barrel for the taking.

Little Chickie is quite a pretty girl, all the look of a Diva about her.

One of my rhodies, small r since they are production reds, went to live with a neighbor and gets a new girl friend. The other girl had lost her buddy and was receiving the full attention of the rooster. rhodie will find the new intense attention a new event, she still has all her feathers telling me PJ didn't care for her or she is quite evasive. I normally don't sell my girls this time of year, but the other hen needed a new companion.

Keep up your exercises Mrs Chickendad, want to get your strength back. Seems things are doing OK. Don't let Little Chickie be the bullying trainer, at least for you.

Julie

Last edited:
A Visit from the Neighbors

The Chickendads have successfully moved all the chickens around so that the boys all have girlfriends. One mille fleur cochin pen has seven little girls to keep their rooster busy. They were lounging in the outside pen the other day when they were approached by three giant chickens speaking in a strange language. The little girls did not know what to make of such big chickens. The giant chickens dropped their wings and fanned their tails for the girls. They turned around and around and made their funny language sound. There must have been something wrong with them, as their combs and wattles were hanging off their beaks, and were all red and blue colored. The little girls were glad there was a fence between them, those giant chicken boys would surely be clumsy lovers for such little girls.

The Giant Chickens were actually Neighbors from Two Doors Down and had come to panhandle for scratch feed. They have begun to visit every day or two, depending on how successful they have been in finding extra goodies at the Chickendad’s house.

In the next pen, the four Ameraucana boys found themselves also the objects of the Giant Chickens’ affection. It was quite confusing, as the Ameraucana boys were used to being at the top of the Chicken Ladder and doing all the charming of the girls, rather than being flirted with by strange Giant Chickens. The Ameraucana boys were happy as well that there was a fence between them.

The Chickendads made a trip over to see their friend Audrey last week. Audrey has lots of baby bunnies, seeing as it is spring and all. Here is a picture of one that the Chickendad’s loved! It is not a toy, but a real bunny! Way too cute!

Precious! What a wonderful bundle of pudgy fur! Glad to hear from you, MrsChickendad!
caf.gif

celebrate.gif
Thanks Mrs. Chickendad... I needed a 'fix'. Hope this means that the shingles are a thing of the past and that you are well on the way to recovery from your surgeries. We are all looking forward to more tales from the Chickendad ranch. Take care and happy hatching!

The Further Adventures of Little Chickie #18

Little Chickie #18 has become a woman! She has resided in the house for the past couple of weeks recovering from a gooey eye infection. Mrs. Chickendad has been medicating her and about the time the infection seems to have been beaten, it flares up again. Time to find a new med for Chickie # 18, who has told us her name is now “Chickie Lou”. Mrs. Chickendad thinks “Chickie Poo” fits better.

Chickie Lou has a crate in the living room where she spends the night and visits for snacks. Last week, she went to her crate in the middle of the afternoon. There was lots of “buk-buk-buking” and the wood shavings were flying out the door of the crate as Chickie Lou rearranged the bedding to her satisfaction. She was apparently difficult to please, as she was thumping the sides of the crate and the wood chips were piling up outside the crate door. After a while, the bedding was perfect and Chickie Lou settled down to concentrate on the strange sensation she felt in her nether regions. After a half hour or so of deep concentration, Chickie Lou emerged from her crate, leaving behind a lovely smooth brown egg. She felt so much better, a snack was in order, so she toddled off to the kitchen.

Chickie Lou has discovered the dish of cat food and avails herself of it’s contents on a regular basis. This seems to be contributing to some odiferous poos, which Chickie Lou is conveniently depositing on the kitchen floor rather than the living room carpet. The Chickendads are going thru rolls of paper towels at an alarming rate, but that seems preferable to a diaper for Chickie Lou, who has a very fluffy white butt which a diaper would surely make a mess of.

Chickie Lou took a few days off from egg laying until Saturday, when the Chickendads noticed activity in the crate once again. They heard the egg song from Chickie Lou and were surprised to discover two lovely eggs in the nest. They had checked the crate for eggs before she went in, so were a bit puzzled how she could have laid two eggs in such a short period of time. Well, at least Chickie Lou is no longer on scholarship and can now contribute her egg money towards keeping the paper towels in good supply.

Love it!!!
Seems like Chickie Lou is a real character!
And is she still helping to keep Mr Chickendad fit?
wee.gif

Thanks for yet another great story!

Errr...You haven't said how YOU are!!!!
love.gif

Hi Fuffy, thanks for asking. My last visit to the ortho surgeon went basically along the lines of "sorry 'bout your luck. . . " Surgery is apparently not indicated for my bum arm, but I have a script for 6 weeks of physical therapy to keep the muscles from atrophying while the nerves regenerate. . . which may take two years . . . So I am getting better at being left-handed, except for handwriting. At this point I have one good appendage, meaning my left arm. The ankles are going south on me, especially towards the end of the day. Maybe will have to try shots from the foot ortho surgeon. Those helped some in the past.

I hope you are having a lovely spring (as we are) and are enjoying your horses. The photos you have put up of your cob remind me of our welsh cob, Scout. He was a bay gelding we had for several years. Anyone could ride him. My daughter used to come up beside her brother riding Scout and slip the bridle off. Didn't seem to matter to Scout. The only bad habit he ever had was throwing in a 90 degree turn while cantering around our field. I did not usually make the turn.

Back
Top Bottom