The chickens are eating the goat alive

Status
Not open for further replies.

valsey

Songster
9 Years
Feb 5, 2010
Okay - here's a good one - and I cannot make this stuff up.

The goat lays on the ground and has a little sore on her side. The chickens have discovered that goat meat is delicious and peck the sore until she is dripping blood. The goat does nothing to defend herself.

She can never heal because a chicken reopens the wound daily. I have tried bitter apple spray, t-shirts, tube tops...you name it.

Everyone is free range, however the main instigating chickens are now in isolation.

I don't think this kind of behavior from a chicken can ever be gotten under control, but I can't see killing them all to remedy the situation either. And living in a pen is not the long term answer.

I'd appreciate any insight or ideas about this situation. And so would Lucy, the goat.

Thanks

Don't kill all the chickens......Sounds like all you have to do is kill one goat. lol ok seriously I have no idea but there is a spray that I use on my dogs called Yuck that is awful tasting....yes I tried it. much worse than bitter apple. And chickens don't have a good sense of taste to begin with so I don't know if it will work on them. Be sure to close your mouth while you spray it though.

The red sore and blood is drawing the chickens to peck her. Blue cote will dye the wound blue which helps deter further pecking.
Really sounds like you need to seperate the goat to a pen that she can heal up in.

They have no problem eating the blue kote to get to the flesh. I have it on her all the time and sometime I wonder if they might even like the taste.

Then I agree, you need to pen up and separate the goat until her wound heals... good luck

Shave the hair around the wound, clean it well, super glue a "patch" out of a piece of fabric over the wound, try and use something that can breathe easily... that's what I would try... or isolate the goat until she heals if possible.

Assuming once she's healed and hair has grown back, I wonder if they'll just create a new sore?

The dark purple colored wound doesn't seem to stop them. They already know it's there and is delicious.

I think it might be easier to pen up the chickens rather than the goat.

Thank you all - guess I was thinking the same way you all are...any new ideas welcome!

You might also try Rooster Booster Pick-n-more Lotion. It smells/tastes awful, but also helps heal the wound. You can get it at most feed stores or Tractor Supply.

29010.gif

Quote:
That's an interesting idea...I wonder if the other goats will bother it.

Are you serious that I should use super glue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom