The chickens are eating the goat alive

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by valsey, Sep 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    Quote:That's an interesting idea...I wonder if the other goats will bother it.

Are you serious that I should use super glue?

I have used super glue to glue cuts on our animals many times and even on myself in an emergency while camping. It may just work for you and will not harm the goat. Hospitals and the military use a type of super glue as well, but the base isn't acetone. It is used in place of stitches....

2. brahmakid11

brahmakid11 Songster

Aug 23, 2011
    sitting on the toilet
    separate them

3. valsey

valsey Songster

Feb 5, 2010
    Quote:Just in case you're ready to attack me about how I care for my animals rather than giving some helpful insight, answer me this - How do you know I didn't?

Why is there always someone that has to attack a poster?

valsey while only you will ever know if you did isolate the animals when this first started,your own statements that the wound never heals "because a chicken reopens the wound daily" and "everyone is free range" tell the true facts.

This is not an attack,just pointing why we question your animal husbandry procedures.

Only YOU, Colorado Girl, appear to question my animal husbandry procedures. I've done pretty well with my flock for the last 6 years and I'm sure there's many more happy years ahead for them. And how long have you been raising chickens...do you have maybe less than a years experience? Do you know anything about chicken behavior and their cannibalistic tendencies? And what do you know about goats?

It IS an attack when you question someone's way of doing things. I thought this forum was for help and advice, not criticism. You have no business judging what I do - whether I separated the chickens from the goats, whether I did not, or whether I chose a pattern of doing things to try to come up with the offenders..it's really not your concern.

If ya can't say something nice...

4. valsey

valsey Songster

Feb 5, 2010
    Quote:That's hilarious, but it was pale pink. Though she has sported a navy body suit

5. valsey

valsey Songster

Feb 5, 2010
    Quote:What a great idea.

Surprisingly this wound is as clean as a whistle and shows zero sign of infection. It's large, but it is only skin deep. And I would think a chicken beak would be full of nastyness...

6. nuttyredhead

nuttyredhead Songster

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    Do you have the means to seperate them? (i mean do you have the space). I think the goat needs time to heal fully before going where the chickens can get to her. I had a problem with my flock, they had plucked all the feathers off one of my girls backsides. I seperated her for over a week, i thought she was healed enough that they would leave her along...nope! I ended up seperating for almost 3 weeks, till she had feather growth coming back. Now you would never know! But i think if i didnt seperate her, they would never have stopped. And she didnt like to be alone, she was very noisy about it! Im sure your goat wont like it, but does she like being pecked?

7. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:valsey while only you will ever know if you did isolate the animals when this first started,your own statements that the wound never heals "because a chicken reopens the wound daily" and "everyone is free range" tell the true facts.

This is not an attack,just pointing why we question your animal husbandry procedures.

Only YOU, Colorado Girl, appear to question my animal husbandry procedures. I've done pretty well with my flock for the last 6 years and I'm sure there's many more happy years ahead for them. And how long have you been raising chickens...do you have maybe less than a years experience? Do you know anything about chicken behavior and their cannibalistic tendencies? And what do you know about goats?

It IS an attack when you question someone's way of doing things. I thought this forum was for help and advice, not criticism. You have no business judging what I do - whether I separated the chickens from the goats, whether I did not, or whether I chose a pattern of doing things to try to come up with the offenders..it's really not your concern.

Sorry but I agree with Colorado Girl.....why on earth wouldn't you have seperated them when it first started happening?

If you want to question my experience level as well, here it is.....I've been raising chickens for 50+ years and have lived my entire life on a farm with all manner of livestock.

You do need to seperate the goat away from the chickens. Not to do so is irresponsible on your part.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2011
  8. dirtsaver

dirtsaver Songster

Mar 20, 2010
    Northern Kentucky
    Quote:valsey while only you will ever know if you did isolate the animals when this first started,your own statements that the wound never heals "because a chicken reopens the wound daily" and "everyone is free range" tell the true facts.

valsey by your own words you did not follow proper procedures to give good care to the poor goat. Several here gave you the only proper answer but you seem to ignore that advice and then get upset at our help. Colorado Girl is not the only one that questioned your methods,I also did as well as a couple of others,but we all did that in concern for the poor goat. Again,by your own words you allowed the goat to be abused by the chickens and suffer needlessly.

Time to step up and be an adult about this issue...and for Gods sake DO THE RIGHT THING AND KEEP THE DARN CHICKENS AWAY FROM THE POOR GOAT!!!! You may not like it...the goat and chickens may not like it...but it's best for the poor goat! In my opinion you are bordering on animal abuse and should be turned in to the Animal Control Officer if you let this go on!

9. StevenW.

StevenW. Crowing

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    Oh my goodness.. Is this a trick question?

Seperate the Poor Goat! And save her life by takeing her to a vet or something! Don't just let her die a painful death!

10. ladyride

ladyride Songster

Apr 30, 2011
    East Tn
    Tube tops , body suits
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Sorry can't offer any advice but that image had me falling out of my chair. Would loved to have seen those pics ! [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: