The chickens are eating the goat alive

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by valsey, Sep 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Songster

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    Not to add fuel to the fire, but you keep calling the offending chickens "cannibalistic"... since when are goats and chickens the same thing? To call an animal (or person for that matter) a cannibal means that they consume parts of their own species... You said the goat is being picked open DAILY to the point of "dripping blood" and de-scabbing.... sounds a bit harsh and you need to separate the goat ASAP before she DOES get infected and suffers. You asked for advice, many have given it: SEPARATE THE GOAT FROM THE CHICKENS. Nobody is being dramatic, but you are allowing the goat to risk infection on a daily basis by not protecting her. 8 lb chicken versus 200 lb goat versus life ending bacteria... why the risk at all?

2. willowcrow

willowcrow In the Brooder

Apr 2, 2011
    South
    The lady doth protest too much, methinks.

I have goats and chickens. I am giving you the best advice I can. I certainly would not like chickens pecking at my flesh. I am not 200 pounds. But still. The wound will nto heal unless you put your goat somewhere safe. No drama.

3. AliciaM

AliciaM Songster

Apr 18, 2010
    Yelm Washington
    Oh, come on.. Even a 200 pound goat is not going to just sit there while a few 8 pound chickens peck at a sore spot and draw blood, and eating the flesh...WOULD YOU JUST SIT THERE?? I think not.

How long has this been going on?? Could the would possibly be infected? Could the goat be so weak it CANT defend itself any longer?

Why leave them like it is and try and treat the would while the offending chickens keep at it? Why not seperate and heal the goat, put it back in with the chickens and see if the chickens try and make a new wound? If they do, bye bye chickens.. If not.. problem solved...

If it were a chicken pecking the crap out of another chicken so bad it drew blood, im sure you would completely seperate them until it healed and not just leave it in there to find out who is doing it.

THE ONLY WAY THE WOULD IS GONNA HEAL IS SEPARATION.

4. valsey

valsey Songster

Feb 5, 2010
    Quote:Hey AliciaM -

What's a would?

5. AliciaM

AliciaM Songster

Apr 18, 2010
    Yelm Washington
    OOPS.. Sorry.. WOUND. That does sound kinda funny reading, doesnt it?? darn spell check..

6. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Quote:Hey AliciaM -

What's a would?

Apparently, it's what your goat has.

7. valsey

valsey Songster

Feb 5, 2010
    Hey guys -
    That's what this is all about. Getting some advice.

The obvious solution is to separate them. How stupid would you be not to know that? What I am asking is 'is there another solution?'. And one possibility is the bandage with the super glue - a great idea - thank you.

The rest of you have offered nothing but judgement. And you're all really silly. The goat is content and not at all hurting or stressed or dying or whatever you're imagining.

I''m done with this crap

Thanks to those who have been constructive

Last edited: Sep 9, 2011
  8. AliciaM

AliciaM Songster

Apr 18, 2010
    Yelm Washington
    Tell you what.. Why dont you cut yourself in the side, since im pretty sure thats where the WOUND is.. then go sit in the chicken pen and see if it hurts when the 8 pound chickens peck and draw blood and eat your flesh..Then the next day after it scabbed over, do it again.. And the next day.. THEN tell me the goat is content and not hurting or stressed.

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Beyond the chicken damage, I would worry that flies lay eggs in the wound and poor goat ends up with maggots. Maybe the chickens constant picking - at least keeps flies away.

As to the why the goat just "takes it." I had a top show champion Cocker - while she was in heat she had to bunk up with another female Cocker. Go to get her ready for a dog show and discover her roomate had chewed all the long hair off one ear. I nearly had a stroke.I couldn't understand why she just laid there and let the other nibble off her coat.

Now looking at the situation I'm guessing it felt good getting "touched, or hair ruffled. I guess both parties get something out of it. Maybe in the case of the goat her wound may itch, and the chickens pecking it, relieves it.

10. dirtsaver

dirtsaver Songster

Mar 20, 2010
    Northern Kentucky
    Quote:Alicia that may be the best suggestion in this whole thread!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: