The chickens are eating the goat alive

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by valsey, Sep 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ColoradoGirl42

ColoradoGirl42 In the Brooder

Feb 7, 2011
    Why wouldn't you have separated the animals when that first started happening!?!

2. tpeila

tpeila In the Brooder

Jul 19, 2010
    University Place, WA
    Quote:That's an interesting idea...I wonder if the other goats will bother it.

Are you serious that I should use super glue?

YES they use super glue in hospitals too!

3. airmechreed

airmechreed Chirping

May 17, 2011
    Colorado Springs
    Quote:That's an interesting idea...I wonder if the other goats will bother it.

Are you serious that I should use super glue?

YES they use super glue in hospitals too!

Super glue was invented during the Veitnam war to fix soilders quick and get them back in the fight. That is why it bonds skin instantly. I use it on my cuts and kids cuts and would have no problem using it on a pet. [​IMG]

4. valsey

valsey Songster

Feb 5, 2010
    Quote:Just in case you're ready to attack me about how I care for my animals rather than giving some helpful insight, answer me this - How do you know I didn't?

Why is there always someone that has to attack a poster?

5. valsey

valsey Songster

Feb 5, 2010
    Carla and JustPeachy - thanks for these ideas. I appreciate it

6. dirtsaver

dirtsaver Songster

Mar 20, 2010
    Northern Kentucky
    Quote:Just in case you're ready to attack me about how I care for my animals rather than giving some helpful insight, answer me this - How do you know I didn't?

Why is there always someone that has to attack a poster?

valsey while only you will ever know if you did isolate the animals when this first started,your own statements that the wound never heals "because a chicken reopens the wound daily" and "everyone is free range" tell the true facts.

This is not an attack,just pointing why we question your animal husbandry procedures.

7. Nonny

Nonny Songster

May 16, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    I'd say your poor goat needs to be kept away from the miniature veloceraptors until the wound has well and truly healed. No point in adding goat meat to their free range menu if you can help it.

I had to keep my cat locked in a small cage for 6 months recently - he absolutely hated it, but when they are injured you sometimes have to do what's best for them, not what's nicest.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2011
  8. Judy

Judy Crowing

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I think what I would try is super glueing a hydrocolloid dressing on the goat. They are available in drug stores for people. I might tape over it to further discourage the chickens. And yes, hospitals use super glue all the time on certain skin wounds. It stings if the skin is cut, but not if you only put it where it is intact. My grandson had his ear partly reattached this way.

Hopefully, the chickens will not peck the goat's intact skin after he has healed. If they do, of course, you will be stuck with penning one of them separately. I hope this won't be needed.

9. AinaWGSD

AinaWGSD Songster

Apr 2, 2010
    Sullivan, IL
    Quote:Penning doesn't have to be a "long term" answer. You only need to pen the chickens (all of them) or the goat until the wound is completely healed over. Unless it is infected, that shouldn't take more than a few weeks. Most skin incisions from a surgery or clean laceration heal pretty much completely in 7-10 days if they are left alone and not messed with. An abrasion or a wound that has been picked at may take a little longer, but as long as it is only skin deep it still shouldn't take more than a month or two tops to heal once you find a way to make the animals leave it alone. That's not really terribly "long term." And once the wound has healed completely and hair has started to grow back over it the chickens shouldn't be able to peck it open easily. Not saying they couldn't do it, but it would take some effort on their part and if they don't have a red oozing sore to guide them I'm not sure they would have the motivation to do it.

10. Impress

Impress Songster

Jun 4, 2011
    Gray, TN
    I'm glad some people have good answers to your question because I keep imagining a goat wearing a tube top and falling off my chair laughing. Sorry, sorry, it isn't a funny situation at all, but a goat in a tube top? [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: