The chickens of the Sunshine Motel!

Pics

Dona Worry

Crowing
Jul 5, 2018
Vermont
So here are my lovely chickies, and their sunny coop!
They are all named after Doctor Who companions, the oldest is Nardole, at 5 months. He is the white Polish Crested, and has just found his voice! He seems to take his job as flock lookout seriously, which is hilarious to me because I don't think he can see through his ridiculous crest!
20180615_123306.jpg
20180707_132127.jpg

Next there are Sarah Jane Smith, River Song, and Romana, all 16 weeks. This picture is when I first got them.
20180601_183138.jpg

The rest are all 9 weeks old.
20180707_160059.jpg
20180702_194714.jpg

20180614_191626.jpg

Martha, the cuddliest of the three silver laced Wyandottes.
20180604_211048.jpg

Missy, my little hellion, and Clara. I was not going to pick Clara, was aiming for a soft blue colored chick, but she hopped into my hand, and has turned out SO pretty! Missy is just. . .Missy.
20180604_210341.jpg

Missy chased Bug up onto the roof.
20180627_075147.jpg

Last edited:
I added another roost tonight, got a couple of pictures while I was at it!
20180707_210758.jpg

Bill Potts! Billi is my miracle baby. When I went to pick up my chicks at the feed store, they were in these huge, crowded water tanks. I picked all the others before moving to the Wyandottes, as I had three of them. Jackie stood out as a glossy black chick, Martha stood out for having a pretty white face and being a chunker, and I was all set to pick up another chick when this teeny tiny little chick caught my eye, just lying on the floor of the water tank, peeping like a chick in distress, all the others just walking over her.
SO, being a soft hearted idiot, I picked her up amd put her in my box. The employees not so subtly tried to steer me into picking a different one, but I had already decided thar if she was going to die, it may as well be in some peace and quiet.
She had problems at once. Was very weak, couldn't stand, wouldn't eat or drink. I mixed up some electrolytes from a package, and also made a gruel with cornmeal dust, dextrose, and a bit of yogurt.
I didn't have a clue what to do for a sick chick, but all babies have the same formula: clean, dry, warm, fed. So, I gently washed her nasty cruddy bottom off with warm running water, made up a small box with some cotton balls under the light, and used a syringe to feed her some of the gruel.
I was SHOCKED to see her pecking at the feeder the following day. I was expecting a dead chick!
She is now happy and healthy with her sisters!
20180707_205058.jpg

Last edited:
I added another roost tonight, got a couple of pictures while I was at it!
View attachment 1459525
Bill Potts! Billi is my miracle baby. When I went to pick up my chicks at the feed store, they were in these huge, crowded water tanks. I picked all the others before moving to the Wyandottes, as I had three of them. Jackie stood out as a glossy black chick, Martha stood out for having a pretty white face and being a chunker, and I was all set to pick up another chick when this teeny tiny little chick caught my eye, just lying on the floor of the water tank, peeping like a chick in distress, all the others just walking over her.
SO, being a soft hearted idiot, I picked her up amd put her in my box. The employees not so subtly tried to steer me into picking a different one, but I had already decided thar if she was going to die, it may as well be in some peace and quiet.
She had problems at once. Was very weak, couldn't stand, wouldn't eat or drink. I mixed up some electrolytes from a package, and also made a gruel with cornmeal dust, dextrose, and a bit of yogurt.
I didn't have a clue what to do for a sick chick, but all babies have the same formula: clean, dry, warm, fed. So, I gently washed her nasty cruddy bottom off with warm running water, made up a small box with some cotton balls under the light, and used a syringe to feed her some of the gruel.
I was SHOCKED to see her pecking at the feeder the following day. I was expecting a dead chick!
She is now happy and healthy with her sisters!
View attachment 1459527
I have a story EXACTLY LIKE THAT!!! the only difference is it was buff orp, and there were 3:th all almost died on the way home, but I did exactly what you did and they all are alive and well (sometimes overly well:lol:) Today!

Back
Top Bottom