the city chickens

curliet

Songster
11 Years
Apr 22, 2008
west Michigan
Just thought I'd let you know that the chickens that I transplanted from the country to the city seem to be acclimating pretty well. They don't get to free range all over the place, like they did up north, but are getting used to the new digs.
Rick made their coop as similiar to the one they used to live in as he could, the run too. I think that helps, but we have to keep them inside the run til late in the afternoon, and then I let them out for about an hour til sundown (have to stay out with them) just so they can get a little time to stretch.
Really expected the laying to slow down for a spell, but it didn't happen, we're getting plenty of eggs. I have noticed that when they were still up north, the eggs were starting to get some size to them, even had a couple of giant sized ones. Now, it seems like they are back to pullet eggs again. Myabe because they are readjusting?
We kept 9 hens, and sent 8 hens and Buff the rooster to a friend's farm. He says they're laying well too, but on the small side. Wish we hadn't had to split them up, but all 18 would have been way too many for our garage and yard. And we wouldn't have been able to keep them 'secret' like we are now. (HAHA)

Glad to hear they're adjusting T. I can hear mine right now. They want out, but they're gonna have to wait until we get back from town. I'm not brave enough yet to let them free-range while we're gone (yet). They'd probably beat up the dog and steal his food in our absence.

I think chickens adjust really well. We bought our first ones from a free range farm, though not the best conditions, and they were fattening up and laying here in a coop within a week.

Well, the secret is out! Last night my son and his family were here. He works with some guys that live behind us. One guy bought the house and has several others there with him as room mates. (He's the one I saw on the back porch looking around with a strange look on his face) A few days ago, he went to my son and asked "So.....what does your mom have in her back yard?" My son has been well trained, so he said "What do you think she has in her back yard?" The guy says to him "I think that it sounds a lot like chickens." My son says, "well, ya never know what my mom might be up to", and walked away. I am not really worried about these guys, they are nice guys with a habit of having loud rauckus parties that we've never complained about. So if they were going to make waves, we have a lot of ammunition on them to share.

Back
Top Bottom