The Cluck 'n Quack: Stories of our birds

So here's what's been going on lately: (this is mainly a dux story)

On Monday, Nutmeg got attacked by a hawk. She was pretty bloody but didn't seem to have any internal injuries, just bloodied up and some feathers pulled out. She was in shock though, so dad wasn't sure she was going to make it. A few hours later though, we saw her swimming around the pond with Sandy! I was still worried because she still looked pretty bad. Anyway, dad said for safety in numbers reasons, that we should get more ducks. We had been planning on getting more next spring, but dad decided to get them now. As you can imagine I was all for it and very excited! We came home the next day with three more Khaki Campbells and three Pekins. They were very afraid of us and therefore skittish. When we let them go, they took off into the pond which was fine, but then they went to the other shore and ran off into the hedgerow! We chased them, but they either hid in a good spot where nobody could see them or got away by running. In any case, we thought they were gone forever. Imagine our surprise and delight when a few hours later, we heard a very loud quacking coming from the hedgerow, and then saw our ducks (all of them!) splash down back into the pond!! They've stayed here ever since and only tried to run off again once. I think/hope they've accepted the pond as their home and will stay from now on. They're still a little skittish but it's all part of the acdjustment process. Will share photos of the new dux soon.

*UPDATE: Nutmeg is doing much better and will recover. After a few weeks of healing and a good molt, she'll be as good as new! :wee

The hens are going through the last couple of weeks of their molt right now. Can’t wait to see how they look when they’re done! Will post pictures.

Nutmeg is getting better still and has been looking fresher and less roughed up recently. She still has a little limp but can swim and run around with the
other ducks just fine. She’s a sweet little girl and becoming very friendly. :love

The new ducks are settled in well now and have become quite friendly to the people who offer treats. ;) Still figuring out names for them.

Dad says we can get some more chickens and ducks both next spring, so if anyone has any good breed suggestions for either please let me know! I’d love to hear your input.

Nutmeg disappeared today. She was there before lunch, but when I went back out afterwards, she was simply gone, and has not been around for the rest of the day. I don’t think she’s coming back. 😭😭😭

WHY DO MY FAVORITES ALWAYS HAVE TO DIE FIRST??!!?? :hit
Oh no! Just seeing this now. I'm so sorry. Hoping she does show up again.
It could be that a predator picked her out because of her limp. Free-ranging is tough.

Oh no! Just seeing this now. I'm so sorry. Hoping she does show up again.
It could be that a predator picked her out because of her limp. Free-ranging is tough.
By the way that’s a very pretty boy/girl you have for your profile picture! What breed is it? Is it named? I want to see more photos!

By the way that’s a very pretty boy/girl you have for your profile picture! What breed is it? Is it named? I want to see more photos!
That is Autumn, one of my Eastern Egger hens who passed away a few years ago. I have another (Asha) with a similar coloration, but she isn't as pretty as Autumn.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/attachments/autumn-jpg.1155007/

I've had Easter Eggers since we started raising chickens 12 years ago. I love EEs because you never know what color you'll get and they have been very healthy compared to the purebreds we've had. Oh, and they lay colorful eggs!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom