The Cluck 'n Quack: Stories of our birds

That is Autumn, one of my Eastern Egger hens who passed away a few years ago. I have another (Asha) with a similar coloration, but she isn't as pretty as Autumn.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/attachments/autumn-jpg.1155007/

I've had Easter Eggers since we started raising chickens 12 years ago. I love EEs because you never know what color you'll get and they have been very healthy compared to the purebreds we've had. Oh, and they lay colorful eggs!
LOVE Easter Eggers! I want some sooo bad!

LOVE Easter Eggers! I want some sooo bad!
I can recommend them.
If you are planning to get some there are a few things I think you should know:
  • They are often incorrectly labeled and sold as "Ameraucanas" or "Americanas."
  • They are lightweight which allows them to fly higher than meat or dual-purpose breeds.
  • In my experience, they're more skittish than other common breeds. Although, other people on this forum have had the opposite experience.

I can recommend them.
If you are planning to get some there are a few things I think you should know:
  • They are often incorrectly labeled and sold as "Ameraucanas" or "Americanas."
  • They are lightweight which allows them to fly higher than meat or dual-purpose breeds.
  • In my experience, they're more skittish than other common breeds. Although, other people on this forum have had the opposite experience.
Yes! They are very thin, and one of mine flew 30 feet across my yard. One of mine is skittish, and the other is not.

What are some of the friendliest breeds you know of?
My Black Sex-links were some of the friendliest. My Rhode Island Reds were the most fearless and they would hop into my lap to eat my food, take a nap, etc. All of my dual-purpose breeds were friendlier than my EEs, but, sadly, most died from the worst health issues (ascites and internal laying).

Back
Top Bottom