The Cluck 'n Quack: Stories of our birds

Pics
If I get 8 (hopefully), I think I’ll name them:
Bean, Margo, Whitey, Fluffy, Pippin, Peanut, Chiky, and Cherry.
Jack Nicholson Thank You GIF
Named after the original Margo.❤️
FF543ABE-889B-49C2-8B76-491AAFDE6915.jpeg

So this is the way it’s probably goin’ (I hope at least).
Dad’s gunna get two Buff Orpingtons, two Light Bhramas, and two Buff Bhramas. I’m going to pay (with my own money) for two Speckled Sussex and two Salmon Fravolles/Easter Eggers (Whichever they have). That would mean we would be getting ten chicks instead of just eight! 😊

This is a hypothetical best-case-scenario situation though, so we’ll see how it goes.

Hey y’all, dad and I had a little dispute the other day about chickens and I’d like to hear your input.
I was talking about the chicks we were getting next spring, and I was saying that I hoped we wouldn’t get too many roosters. Dad said “who said we’re getting roosters?” (He doesn’t like them) and I said, ”well, we won’t know what gender they are until they grow older.” Dad disagreed and said that all chickens could be sexed from hatch so he said that we could be sure we were only getting pullets. I argued that only sex-links could be sexed from hatch and we didn’t want those. Who’s right?

I hope hope HOPE we won’t get sexlinks but we’ll see. :fl

Hey y’all, dad and I had a little dispute the other day about chickens and I’d like to hear your input.
I was talking about the chicks we were getting next spring, and I was saying that I hoped we wouldn’t get too many roosters. Dad said “who said we’re getting roosters?” (He doesn’t like them) and I said, ”well, we won’t know what gender they are until they grow older.” Dad disagreed and said that all chickens could be sexed from hatch so he said that we could be sure we were only getting pullets. I argued that only sex-links could be sexed from hatch and we didn’t want those. Who’s right?

You can get a DNA test for your chicks. There are many other autosexing breeds too, you might want to look into that. You can also buy slightly older chicks

Well...You can buy sexed chicks, but the method that is used isn't 100% reliable and it is not uncommon to get a rooster or two or three in a batch of chicks that were labeled as female. Sex-links make it easy to know what you're getting. Just don't get "straight run" chicks - that means they were not sexed and there will be females and males.

Is ordering from a hatchery an option?

Back
Top Bottom