The cost of desserts - I am SHOCKED!

hide.gif
Ill admit... I went to the CheeseCake factory just because of The Big Bang Theory. The family and I were in Buffalo at the Walden Galleria Mall one day.. (we were actually in the states that weekend camping) We went to the mall to do some shopping and found it.. The CheeseCake Factory and hod to go.

To my surprise it was not as expensive as I thought... there is a real gap between our two economies. to eat at a place like that in Ontario Canada would been at least double. When we go to family dinners out it is nothing for us to drop $200 on a meal.. and I dont drink so thats just a few beers for hubby + food... so all in all I didnt find it that expensive

Quote:
I have to agree with this 100%... my best friend cant cook from scratch.. although she is slowly learning but it is a long slow process. everything she buys comes from frozen meat stores (In Canada we call it M&M meats) and shes not the only one...

I get calls all the time from my friends.. how do I do this how do I do that,,, I have the juice from my roast now how do I make gravy?
roll.png

i have a small chicken thats to small to feed the family how do I make soup?

I have made it a point to teach my kids to cook and bake from scratch

Last edited:
Quote:
Isn't cheesecake factory a chain restaurant? So all their cheesecake is the same, no special recipe or individuality. So I highly doubt their cheesecakes are comparable to art.

The artist created the recipe. The individual cheesecakes are akin to prints of the original.

smile.png

Oh great, now I'm hungry and only cheesecake will do!
lol.png

Normally I would head out to the recipe section and see if I can find a $18 cheesecake recipe but currently no kitchen (house reno in progress) so I'll have to find the expensive stuff already made! Good luck to me around here.

Quote:
Two reasons why I have even heard of the Cheese Cake Factory; that show and one of those recurring articles that pop up on Yahoo. "The WORST thing you could POSSIBLY eat." some entree that has 5,000 calories and enough sodium to kill a moose, seems to frequently come from the Cheese Cake Factory.

Quote:
Isn't cheesecake factory a chain restaurant? So all their cheesecake is the same, no special recipe or individuality. So I highly doubt their cheesecakes are comparable to art.

The artist created the recipe. The individual cheesecakes are akin to prints of the original.

smile.png

I think the outrageous price is for the convenience and name as much as quality. I wouldn't personally pay that much, but I can see why people would. I'd either make it myself, or if pressed for time buy one from a bakery or friend I have who make yummy cheesecakes.

Quote:
Two reasons why I have even heard of the Cheese Cake Factory; that show and one of those recurring articles that pop up on Yahoo. "The WORST thing you could POSSIBLY eat." some entree that has 5,000 calories and enough sodium to kill a moose, seems to frequently come from the Cheese Cake Factory.

Well, they now have a skinnylicious menu. (their wording, not mine) All items on that menu are under 500 calories. (and cheaper too) Can't help ya with the sodium though.

Quote:

LOL good thing I had a turkey avocado wrap and green sweet tea..

Wow! $50 for a cheesecake is far too much. And it IS a ridiculous price and it IS NOT a work of art deserving of extreme amounts of money. To say its like a fine piece of art and then compare it to a print doesn't make sense. I think its one of those items people splurge on occassionally to treat their friends and family. Especially at holidays. I know what it takes to bake a cheesecake. Unless that piece of cake is going to suck off 10 lbs on the way down its not worth the money. And, unfortunately, it's going to do just the opposite.

I watched an episode of No Reservations on Travel Channel recently, where Tony talked about spending in the thousands for a single meal, I think it was sushi. I agree, let me win about 10 million and watch me refuse both that and the $50 cheesecake. Waste is waste, IMO.

But -- to each his own.

Quote:
x2. Not only are the ingredients quite expensive but you also have to consider overhead. It's enormous. Yeah, I think $50 is an awful lot for a cheesecake but after they pay all the expenses, yeah, they want to make a profit too just like everybody else who runs a business.

By the way, how big are these cheesecakes? It's been so long since I've been in one of their stores but I was thinking they were pretty good sized?

So no, not something I personally would spend $50 bucks on but apparently plenty of folks do.
smile.png
I'll make my own or get one from Cost Co.

Back
Top Bottom